A slow(?) California fire Season and why it shocks us

Y’all ought to be fired & me too for contributing to this - look what we’ve done! Look where free speech got us… It’s a dang mess going on in nops! \m/

7 Likes

Another surefire way to get the season going is by sending strike teams to Oregon apparently … :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

August never has been really quiet in North Ops. Spent many weeks there during my career with Cal Fire.

Way to many days on the Klamath NF in horrible conditions, Hope that they get some relief and moisture from latest storms. Always think about being in the Pondosa and Scarface as dozer boss, and STL on the Crank Fire.

4 Likes

Still waiting… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Our turn is coming. Wait until fall.

5 Likes

My comments were flagged/censored just curious as to what part of my comments were considered to be offensive, if we are to be censored and it’s not obvious as to why then a brief explanation would be appreciated…

6 Likes

If “the community” people post enough dislikes on a post it gets “voted off the island” so people have to click on it so no snowflakes will be accidentally triggered by having to read a post they disagree with.

It appears to me it is a feature of this software that I think is silly. Just saying what I think it is.

6 Likes

Transparency from the Moderator’s side of the house.

The community/users have the ability to “flag” posts based on multiple criteria. Your post was flagged for being OFF TOPIC. Your post was reviewed based upon the claim of being off topic “…slow fire season…” and was validated for such, as a majority of the post was viewed as off topic. It may fit better in a new or different thread.

Just a little of the behind the scenes of what moderators do to keep the forum organized and flowing. There was no censoring or statements of offense. Thank you for your contributions and understanding. Carry on!

17 Likes

Thank you for explaining that. Transparency helps us understand how the moderators guide and keep the posts ON TOPIC.

5 Likes

There is no way to prove that there is anyone correct theory, however it is clear to me that there are multiple factors that effect this fire season.

• Weather- just had the wettest winter since the Donner Party tried to cross the Sierras. People were skiing in July. Late snow pack pushed back any chance of fires starting in May, June, or July. Hurricane Hilary just came through and soaked the entire southland and the already wet Sierras with a entire years worth of water. Low pressure established it’s self of the coast sending west winds and high RH’s through usually dry areas of California. Normal years there seems to be high pressure camping off the cost giving California multiple weeks of hot weather and heat waves. Also we just have had the first and only Red Flag wind event in the Sacrament Valley/foothills that was short lived lasting only 1 day followed by cooler weather and rain in the mountains and north east and west. The only fires that became established were in the Mojave Dessert and in the North West where drought conditions still prevail.

• Fire History- If you look at where the few fires started and became established this year, you will notice that the only significant fires are in areas that have not burned in the last 7 years. During the recent fire seasons, California has experienced it’s most major fire seasons with “Mega fires” becoming the norm. If you check out the Fire History section of Watch Duty, you will notice that most of Northern and Central California fire prone areas have already burned up. We have had multiple 100,000+ acre fires over the last few years. The Cal Fire stats back this up. Most of the state has benefitted by the natural fire breaks of all these big burn scars. Countless fires have started near burn scars and have burned into the previous fire scar and have been picked up or went out. The current lightning fires in the north are burning in between fire scars and crews are using these scars as a natural fire breaks to fight the fires.

• Aircraft, VLATS- just a few years ago VLATS were not allowed as they were believed to be too dangerous. Now almost every grass fire near any town gets multiple airtankers and VLATs. The fires are going out. Night flying Firehawk helicopters and an abundance of Helitankers are making a difference too. In the old days it was not safe to fly at night and take advantage of the slower fire behavior. Now Firehawks are making quick work of the cool temps and lower RH’s to shorten firefights. Next year Cal Fire is adding 6, C130 airtankers to the mix. One C130 is reported to be as effective as 6, S2s. That is going to be a game changer…

I think California has figured it out. Oregon, Washington Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico, Canada, have all had ripping fire season. California has had two slow fire seasons in a row compared to the last 7 years. That’s my theory…

7 Likes

At the end of every Fire Season, I would tell my FF’s that’s the start of a new one. I would try and keep it simple.

How much rain and snow did we got in winter and spring.
What were the temps during those periods.
Did we have long or short periods of the above.
Wet long winter into spring fuel moisture up.
Dry long winter into spring your fuels dry out faster.
Fire on what aspect effects the ROS brown west aspect, green NNE aspect. More so in early fire season.
High temps/Low RH=Starts are harder to catch.
Lower temps/Higher RH starts are easier to catch.
Wind and Topo can be the wild factor on any fire.
Then you have areas in the state that just seemed to burn.

You can have all kinds of Air force and ground resources. When resources are committed and you get starts on dryer years. The last ten years speak for itself.
For us old timers it not the slow ones that shock us but the last ten years or so have been pretty eye catching.

7 Likes

Of course data can be manipulated! Just say’in!

1 Like

The Summer of 2023 Was California’s Coolest in More Than a Decade - The New York Times.

Long winter, periodic summer precipitation, shorter heatwaves. Contract ships, bigger ships, Gaurd crews, fuels crews, hand crews, camps, AlertFire, scanner volunteers… Not surprised

4 Likes

Look at the Big Brain on Woody🤣

Happy 40th buddy

3 Likes