Air Tanker Use

Unfortunately groups like this don’t accept a legal decision unless it’s their point. They just keep filing until they find a judge/court to side with them. Sad days. No a acceptable common groud.

4 Likes

The plaintiffs posted a press release:

It includes a link to their lawsuit, 10 pages:

The law firm representing them:
http://bechtoldlaw.net/

1 Like

I can see a per violation “fee”, cost of doing business. Tough to get evry drop exactly right. Especially under smoke. But a blanket ban on use… tough call.

2 Likes

This paragraph (27) found on page 7, could have significant impact to any and all suppression efforts. If this case is successful, this paragraph could be used later to file injunctions against any water or “pollutant” such as sand silt, mud, etc which is used in suppression efforts not associated with that waterway.

“The term “pollutant” means dredged spoil, solid waste, incinerator residue, sewage, garbage, sewage sludge, munitions, chemical wastes, biological materials, radioactive materials, heat, wrecked or discarded equipment, rock, sand, cellar dirt and industrial, municipal, and agricultural waste discharged into water.”

I can understand the argument against the use retardant, I don’t agree with it but I can understand it. This paragraph for me however, is about 10 bridges too far with how they are broadening the scope of their complaint and what that broad scope could mean downrange.

7 Likes

Yep that stuff is all industrial byproducts. Aerial retardant isn’t.

2 Likes

Right. And that’s immediately followed by paragraph 28.

“Fire retardant is a pollutant. Aerially delivered fire retardant formulations currently in use are primarily inorganic fertilizers (ammonium phosphates) or other inorganic salts (magnesium chloride).”

That don’t make no sense. Ammonium phosphates grow our crops and magnesium chloride is road salt. Neither are in the list of pollutants stated above.

I assume they are talking about Phos-Chek. I defer to your knowledge. It’s not like they’re dropping Agent Orange, right?

2 Likes

Better Red than Dead

5 Likes

I totally agree with the concept of 50% in the green 50% in the black

1 Like

Has Ramona AAB gone to liquid retardant admixture instead of the dry (bagged) ?

1 Like

Pretty sure all CalFire bases, and every base in CA uses FX. Which is powder mixed with water. It’s 50/50 FX/LC outside of California. LC seems to be going to the wayside though.

2 Likes

Ramona AAB has been using Phos-Chek powder since mid 80’s. Currently using MVP-FX from Perimeter Solutions.

5 Likes

Great update of the C-130 program. Good to know they will be used on initial attack.

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing this update!!!

3 Likes

I thought I posted this elsewhere, but a while back, in fall/winter, I saw a CF C130 doing extremely low passes over Grass Valley’s runway and wondered what they were doing?

2 Likes

Likely terrain and airport familiarization. They were doing the same thing about a month ago in Mammoth. I’m sure Bishop was included I just happened to be driving by mammoth airport when they were flying thru. They never landed just touch and go. I’m sure they will fly into many of the normal reload airports as the pilots get their flight times up and certifications.

5 Likes

Coulson Aviation was in the Angeles NF on Saturday.

Aerial-Fire-Training-556x417
The large-scale training exercise is expected to commence at 12:00 p.m. and end at 4:00 p.m. Aircraft will be arriving and departing from Fox Field in Lancaster. Please refer to the attached map for the area within the Angeles National Forest where drops will be occurring.

Resources participating in the exercise include:

– One Citation Jet “Air Attack” command platform, directing the retardant dropping airtankers.

– One Citation Jet “Lead Airplane,” clearing an approach path for the larger airtankers to ensure safety and a clear path of travel.

– Two C-130 Air Tankers, each capable of dropping 4,000 gallons of retardant.

– One Boeing 737 Air Tanker, capable of dropping 4,000 gallons of retardant.

– One Sikorsky S-76 Helicopter (HLCO) command/intelligence platform equipped with infrared technology to allow for real-time fire mapping, reporting to the “Air Attack” and capable of directing the activities of the rotor wing aircraft.

– One CH-47 Chinook Helitanker, capable of dropping 3,000 gallons of water, gel, and/or retardant.

– Two Sikorsky S-61 Helitankers, capable of dropping 1,000 gallons of water or retardant.
SCVNews.com | LACoFD Announces Aerial Firefighting Training Near Castaic Lake | 05-01-2023

[edited]

3 Likes

My buddy who captains one of Neptune Aviations tankers said their start date will be June 18th at Fresno. Last year it was Tanker 1 but he didn’t mention if it would be the same this year

4 Likes

The hills have been turning from green to yellow over the past month in socal. Looking at the positives of this, there will be many dip locations availability for state and contract resources. Also from what I’ve seen and heard leaderships have placed more emphasis on IA response. I’m optimistic for this season, with in reason of course.

5 Likes

Report of the second Coulson crash with in recent years down under.

8 Likes
3 Likes