CA-ANF-Bobcat Mt. Wilson protection discussion??

you nailed it. Couldn’t say it any better or different. Firemen save the day every time. But there is a greater cost and risk to being reactive rather than proactive. I was a seasonal hire in 77 out of Redding. 5 years of drought and a wicked fire season… It was the best training you could have. You will never stop them all but you can protect better if you have some protection to start with

6 Likes

Well what’s done is done now. Hopefully the Powers To Be can get together and manage the Fuels on that mountain top. There is some very steep ground they have to deal with. That being said get the experts in there and see what can be done.

2 Likes

I agree what you said. I have been on a lot of fires there and I can only imagine the numer of fires that have been in that area over the past 100 years and yet, as seen by Alert cams and TV air views, there has been no fuel reduction…zip…zero. as you stated, hopefully someone will do the right thing. Had there been a NE wind pushing the fire…who knows???

4 Likes

And 2 weeks to get a whole lot done

2 Likes

with fire departments. Cal Fire and the USFS woefully underfunded you wonder what it will take for a change in the mindset. who knows and what if’s are dangerous things… 100 years of fires do not seemed to have changed a lot in regards to prevention. with people pushing farther out into the foothills and beyond we need to do something more

4 Likes

Spot on…the fire has not changed but the dynamic with in them have. Like I tell people if we are not laying hose then no perimeter control is going on. You get my drift!

5 Likes

indeed! I am with you on that one.
We should be more like the Indian crews up in Hoopa and burn the under brush in the winter.

4 Likes

So do we have a damage assessment of the area yet?

2 Likes

looks like it is on the northern ridge ?

1 Like