CA-BDU/BDF-El Dorado??

Surprise!! Its a girl… :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Any intel if it got below Pine Bench? to the east is clear with the Apple burn but if it comes down San Gorgonio Creek it will make a whole new problem for Wildwood and Cherry Valley.

1 Like

Drove up Mile High, well established East of Oak Glen Rd at the Wildwood Cyn road on the water district property, lots of spotting. RVC local strike team on Mile High, evacs out to Dutton/Orchard.

1 Like

NO NO RR< IT WAS A GIRL

1 Like

I hope they are cited and billed for every penny!

3 Likes

When was the last major fire in the upper santa ana watershed, north of the 38? Bear Fire in the 70s?
Old Fire didn’t make it into there

1 Like

I don’t have an answer to the question on fire history - but my brother is working one of the type 1 copter crews that came in from the plains last week - says that Northern section doubled today.

3 Likes

Nothing in that area over 1000 acres in 150 years…

2 Likes

Yes
Some small scattered fires, but bear burned during a santa Ana event and was huge by the standard of the time

1 Like

You all are correct about the santa ana water shed. We can not let this fire get down there. If it does we are in for a world full of hurt. Also, if this fire gets in there and some kind of offshore wind event develops in the next 1 - 2 weeks we will have a disaster on hand. Long term analyst is very dire! We MUST hold it above highway 38 (mid slope road with with minimal fire history near Angeles Oaks).

1 Like

Fire perimeter data prior to about 1950 is sketchy, and before about 1920 was not collected or recorded by any standardized means. Newspapers and incidental observations are the strongest records for the pre-1910 period.

6 Likes

Look like the ops prediction of Hwy 38 is likely…still pretty dang active.

2 Likes

The 1970 Bear fire is a key indication of potential. What’s also important about it is that occurred under Santa Ana winds and was really only stopped by rain/snow that came in behind the wind. The fire occurred in November, late in the season, much like 2003 old fire in oct/nov which was stopped only by rain/snow. We are earlier than both events with a very dry 3 month outlook. Again, critical to hold hwy 38. Redgroom, thanks for local input.

5 Likes

Not only for the clear threats to the mountain communities if it gets established in the Santa Ana watershed, I’m real concerned about a large scale rain event impacting that area post burn causing significant down stream impacts. I got to see what happened post Cranston and it wasn’t pretty to say the least.

4 Likes

Here’s a great run down on the threat to the mtn. Communities by the I.C. and Fire Chief of Big Bear. Keep in mind, this isnt taken in to consideration the threat of offshore wind event which would threaten Running Springs and valley communities (Mentone, Highland, San Bernardino)Evacuation Updates

1 Like

That was a fantastic briefing. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

With the IAP being password protected does anyone have a 205?

1 Like

7 Oaks dam would hold the debris but it would be a huge mess for sure