CA-FKU-Mineral?

Yes - those freqs are good for today and most likely the entire incident since they are the extended attack freqs. There’s an additional victor of 118.725 allocated to the incident by the FAA, but it isn’t on today’s 205. It might become a future briefing or air cmd between AA and Helco if incident complexity grows.

Typically only the CMD channels might change when a team comes on board and looks at the combination of incident duration and growth, and the existing CMD fixed-infrastructure. Fixed infrastructure is ideal for the first few days of extended but if there aren’t other options for new incidents that go extended in the area, they’ll order up a NIFC cmd system to free up the fixed-infrastructure.

6 Likes

Mineral is pushing enough smoke to show up on weather radar, going be an air quality issue

1 Like

This morning still looks active on the Joaquin cam. few small columns here and there if you check out the 6 hour. Didnt completely lay down last night

1 Like

Same AT frequency as yesterday?

EDIT: N/M I got them

Why the order for more strike teams? I’m unable to listen to any of the radio traffic right now, so just wondering what might be going on that leads to the multiple requests. Thanks…

1 Like

Either prepping for a large firing op. Or the fire is starting to move into an area with more access and or houses. Operational need.

Gets across Los Gatos Creek/road to the North East and lots of country to run with some difficult enviromental problems and to my 47 year memory, minimal fire history in there.

2 Likes

Both are correct. End of report.

2 Likes

So I assume the environmental issue is the naturally occurring asbestos that is on some of the maps. What is the mitigation for a fire in there? I’ll have to do some research.

2 Likes

Yeah, Im not sure what the current policy is for that area but when I was a FF-1, it was a no go zone.
Thick fuel up there, I camped on San Benito Mtn 20 years ago and it was 20 foot brush for miles

3 Likes

If the fire crosses Los Gatos Creek Road there will not be many places to stop it. North West of the fire is what they call the Red Zone which is thousands of acres of asbestos minds. In that area normally we stay out of but if the fire gets there it will be a different ball game.

3 Likes

It’s the red zone. Simple answer is no one goes in there. An engine was taken in there years ago and it got stripped down to the frame to be deconned. If it gets into the red zone it’s just gonna burn till it come out the other end.

8 Likes

Immediate need from SHU- sounds like some terminology needs cleaned up- they will be lucky to get a couple winks prior to the morning briefing.

3 Likes

No familiar with the asbestos issue that causes the Red Zone. Is it free asbestos on the ground that could get disturbed by suppression action, or is it a lot of old mines and mine/air shafts?

They were open pot mines about 210, 000 acres

3 Likes

Interesting history lesson

2 Likes

Natural asbestos mines are in the new idra area. Look on Apple Maps or google maps and the area north of Los Gatos creek rd the stuff that’s white isn’t snow my friend. The super funded the area in the late 80s I believe the mine was the new idra mine.

4 Likes

New Idra is a Mercury superfund site

2 Likes

The rock up there is Serpentine, the source of asbestos.
I confessed to working at Sunol over on the Hollow Fire thread. I also worked part of '74 at Beaver Dam. The asbestos trunks used to barrel past the station with their loads uncovered and the dust in a long plume behind. We didn’t think anything of it.

Then came Mesothelioma (lung cancer caused by sharp particles deep in the lungs), suits that bankrupted Johns Manville and other asbestos insulation companies. It is really hazardous stuff. As I recall it was about 1977-78 when fire suppression in there was stopped.

7 Likes

Sorry to hear. And the things we do when young and not knowing that bite us in the A@@ later.

All to aware of it. Ring mountain on Tiburon peninsula just up from my station has a ton of SERP rock and several slide areas that crumple down.

I always check areas from WL fires I’ve been on to see if in area and document it

3 Likes