CA-LFD-Palisades???

So LAFD seems like its “borrowing” aircraft from neighboring departments, they have OFCA, Ventura and LAC aircraft. Why don’t they order aircraft like a crane/Chinook through the normal channels? Watching the video, a large type 1 helicopter or 2 would make a big difference on this fire.

They are losing all the “borrowed” airships now back to their respective jurisdictions.

2 Likes

A skycrane would make a big difference, what’s flying now are doing a heck of a job but having trouble keeping it pinned down.

Any team talk

Los Angeles County normally use their own teams. I think this fire is
pretty evenly split burning LA City and County land.

As of Mothers day The Columbia sky cranes were still in oregon and didn’t have any tanks under them yet.

2 Likes

Any ideas why they aren’t throwing the world at this thing?

1 Like

Probably due to the season being about a month ahead of normal and many resources are not available yet. Many Cal Fire crews are still being trained, seasonal, as well since Newsom ruined the crews in Ca. Also, the marine layer is playing havoc with the air program.

5 Likes

Different kind of crowd in the area now.

6 Likes

Since CALFIRE was flying aircraft deep into December, they are backed up on getting all the planes through Winter Maintenance. The long summers are having a domino effect on all the equipment, not to mention the FF’s who haven’t fully recovered from last year.

2 Likes

All So-Ops Cal-fire bases are completely staffed. It’s a bit of a process for the city to order aircraft. This is not an L.A. county incident. The overcast has been the major factor as it relates to fixed wing operations. There are easily 10 air tankers within 40 minutes reach of this fire at their disposal…when the weather clears.

4 Likes

South Ops early upped 2 tankers tankers and air attack for the fire. Hopefully the weather starts to cooperate so the fixed wing can do some good.

3 Likes

A question for the mods.

There seems to be some “discussion” under initial attack(Atack) and some initial attack (tankers up early) under discussion. Not a big deal now but could be as things get more active. JMO

3 Likes

Suspect in custody, being treated for smoke inhalation…

7 Likes

I agree, Initial Attack is over. Everything should now be shifted to Q & A.

1 Like

I-A thread has been moved to continuing incidents.

2 Likes