CA-MNF-Doe??

Valley View Mtn (St John and Round Mtn cams have this). Starting to get some aircraft love now at 1230pm. Also, TGU LCA is making their way into S20, T22N 7W on the Hardin Hole Ridge just north of Hardin Hole Springs, was 10-15 acres in the understory. They thought it might be SRA. Might be a bit to tighten these locations and names down between the MNF and TGU.

1 Like

Saint John is looking at the Doe Fire I believe.

http://www.alertwildfire.org/shastamodoc/index.html?camera=Axis-SaintJohn2&v=81e004f

1324: 100+ acres

Lead 58 enroute from Redding. T01 has been working out of Chico. Air Attack 7MZ over the fire. (update the Lead was ordered with two addl LATs but got denied the two addl LAT.)

Only 2 engines at scene. Wow. Airshow… it’s going big

1 Like

This fire is extremely hot on GOES, and putting very directed smoke far NE into Red Bluff and further into Shingletown across the valley. Sounds like ground resources have been staying up on top while the fire burns downslope and they’re letting it do its thing for now until they get more resources available.

1 Like

Unless something big breaks in TGU, I have put the scancal live scanner in MNF Incident mode to focus more on their starts and Doe (with Doe air tactics and A/G too). It will still have TGU and SHU Local on priority, for now. SHU priority will quickly disappear if it gets stupid.

Unless there was another start just west of Doe, Jumper 42 put 8-9 jumpers on the Doe about 45 ago. He mentioned that was the last of jumpers at Redding for now.

5 Likes

I believe Jumper 42 put 10 on the Box Fire this morning. And now they’re flying 8 more to the Mendo but I’m not sure which fire yet.

Looks like the second load of jumpers staffed the Rockwell fire.

1 Like

Fire has made it west to Skidmore Ridge. Winds have been shifting up on them all evening.

Any update on current acreage?

Here is 2am VIIRs data for MNF fires. 2018 Mendocino Complex outlined in red.
The fire on the north is at least 1,000 acres.

2 Likes

Fire area received precip overnight.

200 acres with 75 personnel on scene.

1 Like

AA reporting a cell just east of the fire influencing the fire and column has already turned 90 degrees. Alerting ground personnel. Might be running like this all day today…

CA IIMT 2 - Team 15 Being ordered for the MNF August Complex. In brief 1600 tomorrow.

1 Like

Sounds like IC was reporting this thing made signficant runs south and east along the Heifer Ridge and down into the Heifer Drainage, and then starting to wrap around Red Mtn and (if I heard correctly) the next drainage south which has no name (correlates with my forest map). If so, that’s…big. Definitely not a shock though, knowing what was in store with our conditions and resources today and even more going into the rest of the week.

Red Mtn is a significant comm site with TGU Tone 3 and ATT cell coverage for the bulk of Road 306, Elk Creek, Stonyford, and southern Paskenta area. I believe a wide-area amateur repeater is up there too.

Here’s Tuesday morning’s VIIRS/MODIS on the MNF forest map redneck georeferenced into Google Earth with a sketch of what I mentioned above. Operations mentioned the Doe easily doubled in size today.

August Complex 818 eve

2 Likes

This fire is quit visible tonight from the Orland area. Looks to be making significant runs.

0530, GCSO performing Evacs for the Elk Creek area. LG engines from the valley inroute for structure protection. Sounds as they have built a bigger box. This is SRA. ICP is at Calfire station in Elk creek.

A bigger box, alright!
VIIRs from 2am, 8/19/2020.
Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 6.47.42 AM

1 Like

In it for the long run. Wow.