CA-SHF-Monument???

1750 Thursday: SHF sending a load of IA engines into Big Bar for “possible structure protection”

Caltopo Modis/viirs here.

Big Bar RAWS - winds just kicked up out of the west.

2 Likes

IA engines? Several days into the incident?

1 Like

This has happened more and more in the last few years for immediate need structure protection, especially during PL5 when all the resources are tied up. The Angeles and LACoFD did it multiple times on the Bobcat fire last year.

I believe it happened on the Dixie yesterday evening as well. Just not enough strike teams to go around.

1 Like

When he says IA engines, he means the Forest is sending the units that were not assigned or arrived to cover behind the incident for initial attack on new fires. These units are now being committed to the fire to protect structures.

In Calfire terms, it would be the same as them dumping the rest of the resources in the unit or the cover strike team to the fire. Which has happened quite a bit the last few years as well.

3 Likes

Immediate need is different from IA. My thought is IA is “first alarm”. After that, it can be immediate need, additional response, etc. But IA is the first alarm assigned units.

1 Like

Happened several times last year, Apple and El Dorado for example

Mandatory evac to Canyon Creek.

The “Task Force” as Plumas called it where 5 T3’s covering the Forest from other units.

Sorry, thought it was (sadly) a more commonly understood term in this situation. I was referring to units not assigned to the incident, at the disposal of the Forest dispatch covering IA on the Forest, being sent straight into a community for structure protection. No contacting IC on such and such channel, no other instruction other than the sobering “structure protection.” Which unsaid, is life safety first, structures second.

4 Likes

Hmmm…responding into an incident without contact with established command or supervisor? Who has got their backs? How do you contact them? Not knowing resources working in your area, or who your boss is? Who your supervisor is? Sounds like a Watch out situation.

Might happen on Fed incidents…can’t think that I have heard of it on State or LG incidents.

Trust me when I say that they are not responding to an incident without establish command or a supervisor. This is usually a preplanned procedure. Every time I have seen it done, a BC or STEN will accompany them, they have the comm plan and the DIVS they will be assigned to is in the loop. A discussion between the IC and the agency rep or Forest Fire Chief happens before they respond any resources. I hope this helps!

2 Likes

Sorry - not trying to be literal. Most likely a preplanned situation, radio loads established, incase of emergency break glass situation.

But yes, agreed, nobody is rogue on the incident.

My former agency did this all the time. Promised a 1st alarm to the incident at the drop of a hat. Yes, they had comms, yes, they had supervision, yes they were part of the incident. The Tamarack is still burning in my back yard, my agency sent our units + regional mutual aid twice and was always coordinated with the IMT. Normally, the incoming units use “local” tac channels to communicate and the involved division/branch would prepare for this, preplan it, and ensure good accountability for all units. It’s not uncommon…

1 Like

Those engines were absolutely vital in saving homes this afternoon, I don’t care what term you call in as- the important part is that they came when needed.

11 Likes

Has there been any conversation of a contingency plan for Weaverville? I know the fire is west of Junction City still. But with the light flashy fuels in the Helena scar, heat wave starting in the valley the next couple days, it seems be setting up for that westernly push right up and over Oregon Mountain.

CalFire in coordination with Team 5 have been opening only lines on the SRA above Junction City. On the west side, Mandatory Evacuations of Burnt Ranch were implemented this morning. Today we had more of a offshore flow which pushed smoke all the way to the coast. At this time the fire continues to be a fuels driven fire and is actively burning along the entire perimeter but not major runs as of now.

10 Likes

Thank you captmack for your short but meaningful update. I understand why they exist but I don’t get much out of the canned summaries out of NOPS or mostly on inciweb anymore. Maps, photos, and posts like these are much appreciated.

4 Likes

With the growth last night and the expected wind event over the next few days I would expect to see evac warnings for Hayfork and Hyampom soon.

1 Like

These two spots are more than likely gonna get REAL interesting soon.

http://beta.alertwildfire.org/tile-display/viewer/?cams=Axis-Hayfork2&cams=Axis-Hayfork&cams=Axis-OregonMt&cams=Axis-OregonMt2

1 Like