Cal fire FF1 salary

No need to be rude brother. Instead of flaunting your “superior” knowledge, take the time to mentor and teach. These are the folks that take over the job when we retire. Let’s leave it in good hands eh?

5 Likes

Preach brother! :+1:

2 Likes

The 96 hour shift 19 hrs paid and hoping for the nickel at a slow house was how I started in 02. I had old school captains that mentored us and taught the history of the department and all the major work ( tool sharpening and lawn work ) was a shared experience from FF II to FF I with the occasional FAE jumping in. But anyhow hope every single one of them a safe season .

6 Likes

Well, I don’t typically respond to many of the topics on this board, I am typically looking for local fire info. While up late writing reports and looking for fire info I was scanning through this page and found this topic I know I am a little late to the game but here I go. I will say, I really appreciate the responses that were given to this young individual who really is not just asking for info, but sparking conversation amongst his peers. This job/career is about gaining knowledge through questions, education, training and ultimately time on the job. That’s how most of us have learned in this job. I remember the days of applying for jobs all over the state and out of state just to get that badge, I would have done anything at the time. I asked questions in person or on the phone because I did not have access to a computer because I was broke, and the internet was not really a thing yet. I asked some really stupid questions I am sure, but I never came across a guy who ripped me for asking a question. That all happened in the fire academy. Matteblack, I assume you work for Cal Fire, I assume that because of your knowledge of the process and pay and how you described some of the duties you do at work. Would it be fair for me to say I know you work for Cal Fire because you are an A** H***? No, it would not because that is an opinion not a fact! For you to call this individual a slap- Dick, your words not mine, is an opinion not a fact. I have worked with individuals like you throughout my career, they stick around way too long and are a true cancer to organization, good thing I have enough experience to realize that Cal Fire is a great department and they just happen to hire a few rotten apples. Also, to ask if an individual can start a mower is so ridiculous, what if he grew up in the City and had no lawn or vegetation at his house, or a father that did not have those skills to teach him, and why does that matter at ALL? Did you start your career with all the knowledge and experience, I don’t think so. If he is a fed guy I am sure he knows about wildland fire. I have had probationary fire fighters in my department that had never started a chainsaw or washed laundry before, but that does not make them a slap-dick. It makes them moldable and fresh to learn and be open to new ideas and training. Some of the greenest fireman I have seen and worked with over the last 25 years have become some of the best and most respected firemen in our County. Hopefully this youngster received a position with Cal Fire and did not turn away from fear of working with you. Your job is to mentor people and show them why they should work for your organization not deter them to not apply or leave for a better environment or pay. We are better than that, and if we are not, move on! My City boarders Cal Fire and I work with them daily on incidents, I think its a great department with some really great people. They teach me things and I teach them things, that’s what we do in this job, teach and learn every day till we walk out the bay doors for the last time. Darii, if you would like some advice on getting hired in a municipal department, message me, I would be happy to steer you in the right direction. Be safe everyone! Additionaly, anyone who has mowed the lawn at a fire station uses a pull cord or a recoil start on the mower we don’t “turn it on.”

13 Likes

Don’t forget 2.7% at 57, Post 2013 I believe. Big difference from the past. You can still retire at 50 though, just at 2.0, steps every year up 0.1 after age 50 to max. Largest Fire department in the state and questionably the Nation, who probably spends the most on Occupational Cancer research, asking you to work longer for less. But in Fairness I was told that CHP are in the same bracket as well. Golden days are long gone I guess

2 Likes

It is sad when overhead treat people like this. Old forestry is gone and if I’m not mistaken matteblack has only been around since 2013 with Calfire in HUU if I remember correctly…funny how small this community is. So acting like a salty FAE when you only have a handful of years as an actual supervisor is pretty sad. We can still have the aggressive old forestry attitude of getting after it on fires, in training, and pt but raking the sand and moving rocks…those days are long gone. I hope the best for you young lad in finding the answers to your question and hope you can turn away from supervisors that treat you with disrespect. You’re still a human and probably a grown ass man. Some guys just forget how to play nice in the sand box when they had overhead that treated them poorly…as is the case here I know for a fact.

7 Likes

Geez, 2013, I have rescued more people out of structure fires than you have been on the job. One day you will see what the folks are talking about on this thread Matteblack. Be humble, brother, respect is earned if your an ass hole to new guys that just spreads the cancer throughout your organization. Show respect to all individuals coming up, you are their supervisor! Show them why YOU have the best job in the world! Bring them in, show them, teach them, and be someone for them to look up to and say” that guy is awesome, he showed me the way! “ . Matt, your better than that! The ass hole that treated you crappy is truly that, an ass hole! Change starts with you. I was ripped hard on probation and guess what, I decided to treat everyone I came in contact with, with the utmost respect. These are the guys who will carry you out in the S**t! Treat them like crap, they may walk away!

Be safe brothers! It’s been a rough season and we need you all to get home!
Cheers.

10 Likes