CalFire C-130's

Is Rohnerville no longer a CAL Fire AAB?

To my knowledge that Base is still up and running.

LOL, I’m definitely not the chief, just copy and paste an email that was sent out

Rohnerville is still a Cal Fire tanker base; but at 4000 feet long, is too short for loaded C-130s

Santa Rosa is long enough to take a C-130 as well. The coast guard lands their C-130 there all the time.

I’ve seen 3 C-130s land on the 4600’ runway at Columbia in my life. The military routinely launches and recovers fully loaded C130s on 3000’ dirt runways, but I don’t know what the minimum runway requirements are (if any) for air tankers.

C-130s (and P-3s) used Hemet for years fully loaded. It was a fed issue that put a stop to it. I’d love to see them return.

Some data that I have collected from Wildfire Today indicate the following (7) C-130 Air frames were the originals FS purchased from Coast Guard. Const #'s are as follows:

1719 &

FS currently operates 1708 as Tanker 116 (116Z) & 1721 as Tanker 118 (118Z).

respectfully Wildland x8

1 Like

3 Likes

beautiful…does it have a grizzly bear on it and a star like our state flag? I think the hawk paint jobs do.

1 Like

I am curious why Hemet-Ryan was not included in this list as C-130’s were ran out of there for years ?
Hemet Flying Service had a C-130 with an external tank that was used in France in the off season.

Fresno maybe coming back into play, additionally there are discussions that a C130 would go in place of an S2 at certain bases allowing the S2 to be broken down and serviced for long term life of the S2’s

1 Like

I think Fresno would be a good place for a C-130. Would close the gap between Porterville and Columbia.

I have noticed that Cal-Fire has experimented using a type 1 in place of an S-2. Especially while tanker 79 was being built.

When you say broken down, do you mean starting to use some of the current fleet of S-2’s as spare parts to keep the majority of the fleet flying??

Breakdown meaning allowing s2 to be refurbished

It would be good for calfire to have one at Fresno again, it would fill the gap plus when the feds have a tanker there that means two available Lats also.

No bear. I’m not sure who came up with that but it wasn’t the state. It does have a flag under the wing though

2 Likes

Vina’s new ship. They do have the flag on the tail.

5 Likes

I believe he is talking about the flag, the bear and star. Our beloved flag.:grinning:

1 Like

yeah thats what i meant its bad ass

2 Likes

How are the CalFIre C-130’s equipped? Do they use a MAFF?