California Fire News & Weather

2 Likes

While everyone will be watching the rain… watch the backdoor for wind…

7 Likes

Hopefully the rain is significant enough as to not have to worry about the wind.

1 Like

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/california-head-fire-triggers-evacuations-18299189.php

3 Likes

Summary:

• Low pressure off the central CA coast will continue to bring scattered showers and thunderstorms to the higher terrain of northern CA and northern NV up into the upper Klamath River basin in OR for the next couple days.
  • A surge of tropical moisture associated with now Hurricane Hilary will make its way northward and impact the region this weekend into early next week. Moderate to heavy precip is expected, focused across portions of coastal southern CA, southeast CA, and southern NV.
  • Totals will generally range from 1" to 3" for coastal southern CA and southern NV. Southeast CA from Inyo county down to Imperial county may see between 3" and 6" of precip with some higher totals on east facing slopes (approaching 10").
  • River rises are expected in Southern California and San Diego areas beginning Saturday night due to the potential heavy rainfall from Hurricane Hilary.
  • No critial stages exceedances expected for the next couple days.

Confidence: Medium

Staffing Level: Normal

Detailed Hydrometeorological Discussion: cnrfc.noaa.gov/discussion

5 Likes

Let’s take Hillary specific discussion to this thread.
Hillary Discussion

4 Likes

5 Likes
2 Likes

Keep one thing in mind. Insurers are in the business to make MONEY. Insuring our needs is how t ey do that. No good outlook for profit by insurers means they will not get involved.

4 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

Great news for Lake Tahoe!!!

1 Like

Glad to see we have moved beyond a twitter bot to an actual integration with the AHJs. I am thankful though for our friends @Wildfiresmoke on twitter as they pushed the envelope with open source intel and computer vision/machine learning AI. 77 for 128 isnt a horrible rate at this point in the technology and based on the sensors that are in the system. Autonomous suppression isnt far behind.

4 Likes
3 Likes

https://www.thereporter.com/2023/09/01/vaca-man-31-charged-with-3-deaths-faces-march-prelim-dates/

1 Like

State launches new map to track fire prevention, forest health projects (marinij.com)

Activity | Beta Interagency Treatment Dashboard (sig-gis.com)

I think it looks pretty good. Activity acres could be misleading without a bit more detail and context about areas of responsibility (private, state, federal, lg) and risk index. A bit more ability to resize, close or move the boxes will be helpful. (I think pretty much any measurable anything that helps put the lie to the warlords and deadbeats these days is a good thing.)

2 Likes
3 Likes

That article lost me when they said 80,000 hectares is 2 million acres

3 Likes

“Risks remain – though there’s a chance that this year will prove to be extremely mild, there’s also plenty of time left for conditions to shift.”

:coffee: Just don’t.

3 Likes