California Fire News & Weather

Solid wall of marine condensate up against steep pressure and heat gradients inland of Watsonville and Monterey Bay. You can feel the onshore and see flags fly, but the wall just stops. If eyes had the resolution, you would see very fine rH fanning upward and backward about 2000 ft.

11 Likes

SPC Data Viewer (noaa.gov)

NOAA/NWS Storm Prediction Center 25-year averages for lightning activity. Except for how this year may be different, the 25-year averages (1995-2019) imply that we’re passing through the peak of the summer lightning season in the Sierras, with continued, but reduced, activity through the end of the month. The 25-year average also implies that lightning activity in eastern OR will continue, and perhaps increase by degrees, through Aug 7th and then fade for the rest of the season.

Keep in mind that lightning activity in OR and the southern half of the Sierras, Kern and San Bernadino have been higher than the average this year.

[Disclaimer: No butterflies were harmed in the production of this post.]

4 Likes

Red flag for lots of northern California just got issued

4 Likes
2 Likes

So much going on right now, i hope you can find a moment to reflect / honor Chief Dan Packers memory. Chief Packer fell in the line of duty while scouting his division on the the KNF Panther Fire, 2008. T’s & P’s to his family & everyone impacted by the events of that day…

12 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

It would be o.k. with me if another round of lightning would stay away from nops/sops?!

3 Likes

4 Likes

That line along the Highway is not rain. Seen that before and even Dr. Swain wasn’t 100% sure why it does that.

1 Like

Topology and efficiency of energy transfer mumble mumble? That’s the main route of the San Joaquin River, at least for SoCal, implying it’s the lowest ground elevation with a steeper rise on the western side than the eastern side. Why that’s important, IDK.

1 Like

The San Joaquin River traverses east to west along the Fresno/Madera county line, then north to the Delta. I think what you are referring to Ghost is the Aqueduct that sends water from the north to the south.

3 Likes

Hm, okay. The onshore has been pretty robust. Seems like it’s an altitude-based grind against the eastern slopes of the coastal ranges, but that’s not really science-based, just intuition.

10:30AM Sustained Wind Speeds

Sustained winds are forecast to remain northwesterly and pick up some through the day along the I-5 and blow predominantly upslope on the western-facing Sierras.

2PM Wind Gusts Forecast (HRRR)

I dunno, anybody’s guess around Lake Isabella.

2 Likes

https://ruralradio.com/abc_news/extreme-heat-bonedry-vegetation-and-human-misconduct-prompting-intense-wildfire-season-abcid7fcf69b9/

2 Likes

Precipitation and temperature alignments throughout the winter and spring of 2024 resulted in
an above average load of herbaceous fuels in most grass-dominated systems across California. The above
normal grass and herbaceous load creates a continuous fuel bed, allowing for rapid spread of fires.
Throughout Northern California, the first 2 weeks of July brought record breaking heat that resulted in 7-10
days with ERC levels at or above the 97th percentile and breaking of multiple daily records. This was
accompanied by record low 1,000 Hr. fuel moistures. Another round of record setting ERC values and record
low 1,000 Hr. fuel moisture values is forecast.
The combination of heavy herbaceous fuels, highly available dead / down fuels, and seasonably
available live fuels results in a highly flammable fire environment where rapid fire growth and high
resistance to control have been observed and are expected to continue for initial attack fires

Full advisory:
Fuels_Fire_Behavior_Advisory_CA-Wide_20240806

5 Likes
3 Likes

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article290981925.html

2 Likes

My reading of the bill contradicts what sacbee says it will cause (getting rid of the three tiers) but instead allow localities to petition state fire marshal to lower their risk catagory based on mitigation measures undertaken. It also adds a 60 day public comment period for any changes made to the states ranking of an area be it higher or lower)

Bill Text: CA SB610 | 2023-2024 | Regular Session | Amended | LegiScan

3 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes