5 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article267074956.html

1 Like
2 Likes

I thought present defensible space law already covered flammable material and vegetation next to your home also when no one does the inspection itā€™s kind of a toothless law, almost no one in around meadow lakes got a defensible space inspection this year.

2 Likes

The Defensible Space Law is unenforced joke. I had to get an inspection to provide to potential purchasers of my home. But the CalFire Officer could do nothing about my complaint about the vacation house behind mine that has done NOTHING for over 10 years. My phone calls, letters and in person requests get nowhere. I have sent letters with all the defensible space handouts to owners and left on their porch.
Adding more to-doā€™s when you donā€™t inspect, follow up on complaints and enforce is meaning less. And vacant properties have no requirements.

If you make laws for Defensible Space then provide $$ for inspections and enforcement.

Rant done, Be Safe

6 Likes

Not only is the fine from state laws much cheaper than paying to have the work done, the DAā€™s wonā€™t prosecute because thereā€™s no money in it and thereā€™s higher priority crime.

The local gov jurisdiction MUST make local ordinances with teeth! Look up just about any SoCal County: SB,Ven, Orange, Kernā€¦ for examples.

Update: I understand Santa Cruz County also recently adopted ordinances similar to those above.

3 Likes

Itā€™s simply not true that Meadow Lakes did not receive inspections this year. All homes along Bald Mnt. Rd., Liggett Ln, Manley, Juniper, Snow, Honey Ln, Pinecone Ln, Cedar Spring Rd, all roads off Meadow Ln, and some of Auberry Rd. all received inspections this year. Alder Springs was also inspected.
Public Resources Code 4291 does currently cover flammable material and vegetation around your home, that has not and will not change. What will change is what will or will not be allowed in the 0-5ft zone around a home. Things like wood mulch, trees and bushes up next to the home will likely not be allowed. Attached wood fences will likely not be allowed either, among other things.
Admittedly defensible space does not work well as an enforcement tool for the reasons bootstrap mentioned. It is, however, a great educational tool. It is an opportunity for inspectors to educate home owners of the hazards and risks associated with living in the wildland, which include defensible space actions and home hardening measures home owners can take.
The state is currently silent on vacant lots with respect to Public Resources Code 4291. Local ordinances are a great way to bolster the teeth in defensible space. I encourage everyone to speak to their elected officials, both local and state, about adding a vacant lot provision if you feel strongly about it.

4 Likes

Small rural counties with multiple vocal fire districts and strapped county fire depts donā€™t have the funds for enforcement when many districts operate on a budget of under $60,00like the one I retired from as a Board member for a lot of years. And manpower is low as most are volunteers and we donā€™t have as many as we need.
Grantā€™s can take a year or more to get funds to defray costs of training and inspections. And then the enforcement arm is not there.
Perhaps a partnership with the CCC for inspections and state for enforcement.
Something has to change to make this work. It is the $$ that gets their attention, bigger fines, charge cleanup cost back to their property as a lien.
Be Safe

2 Likes

My friends plus their neighbors on acorn didnā€™t get one, I didnā€™t get one and havenā€™t for at least few years and our place is right on Auberry coming into meadow lakes from Auberry. Anyway thanks for the information that means I donā€™t have to change what Iā€™m doing since dirt doesnā€™t burn. I always found the pamphlets pretty informative and meeting inspectors when they are out doing checks is a good way to get a little more advisement on what a property owner can do.

2 Likes
4 Likes

8 Likes

I have never heard of this Globe rag until now, but that piece summarizes it pretty much the way I know it to be as well. Living in the area and seeing the industry die overnight and now we reap the benefits. Maybe it seems slanted but everything is slanted these days and I say it is close to the truth.

1 Like