CFAA Agreement

This will end up costing more…

Just curious how your dept is handling this re: response to fed fires? https://calchiefs.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/CalChiefs.FDAC_.MetroChiefs.LeagueChiefs-Letter-Re.CFAA-05.22.19-1.pdf

Its very simple. USFS appears to be voiding the contract. I will be advising my Board that it is not in our best intrest to respond to USFS incidents. We do have enough funds in reserve to pay our Vol. FF’s but, what rabbit will the USFS pull out of it’s hat next? We don’t pay Volunteers?

4 Likes

Most likely, what this is going to morph into is that few to none assist with FRA incidents. CalFire and OES with open separate incidents if or when the incident crosses into SRA or LRA and that incident will be staffed and managed to only meet containment objectives for SRA and/or LRA dirt.

I heard USDA has told the FS to put this off until all parties have a chance to “talk” about this, next year at the annual meeting. That makes more sense. Look like the Parents (USDA) has told their child (FS) to back off, there is a process to deal with this.

I hope you’re right keestrokes. However confidence isn’t high.

Meanwhile, us boots on the ground have to put up with it. I love working with other agencies on fires! I have so many friends and meet so many cool people. It sucks that we are in the middle of this bs…

5 Likes

The disclaimer first: Apologies to the Mods for what I am about to say but it is the truth.

Personally, I don’t think there is a single person, in any function role, or on any side of any political persuasion, in Washington with a functioning brain cell.

8 Likes

Here is a link to the USFS statement on how they see this issue. http://www.fs.usda.gov/goto/r5/CFAA
Don’t know how things will shake out but I hope it gets figured out soon.

3 Likes

“To be clear, our intentions are to fully reimburse local fire departments in the State of California for all of their actual expenses”. Sounds like the wording is a bit misleading and purposely vague.

Always seems to be vague… the fed government wants to do that with the travel cards for Firefighters too. Instead of just giving them “x” amount of dollars per diem, they want them to save all their receipts for actual cost reimbursement. Haven’t heard anything in concrete yet, but I can imagine it’s coming soon!

What fed agency is talking about that?

I heard rumors last year with the USFS. Not sure if that went down the drain with the whole t-shirt thing though.

Hopefully it did. It just seems to be a continuous poke in the eye for fed firefighters these days.

I really don’t think important people are understanding that if something doesn’t change soon, more and more of our resources will be forced to not be staffed due to lack of qualified employees or lack of interested applicants. People are getting out of fed fire at a rate that’s never been seen before.

Wake up Vallejo.

5 Likes

Yeah, I hope the officials in WO and R5 are paying close attention. Hopefully, if they make changes, they will be good changes that everyone can benefit from.

“Wake up Vallejo!”

3 Likes

This is not a jab at the Feds, I have many friends and relatives who work for them. But has anyone considered that may be their goal? Get out of the fire game and privatize it with contract crews? Just speculation, not looking to start a rumor. Just looking for good discussion.

1 Like

You know, I see the feds using a lot of contractors lately. Not just for fire, but for other projects around the forest as well. Our silviculture workers use contractors to plant the trees. Reason for that is, they won’t get the same production rates from permanent employees. So it probably saves them money in that instance. The problem with some contract fire crews, is they don’t get the same quality training. Some crews are great, some not so great. That goes with agency resources as well though too so, I don’t know what a good solution would be.

1 Like

The feds are simply telling departments, don’t tell us what your going to pay your folks, show us. A wiseman once uttered ‘trust, but verify.” They are not saying they wont pay, they are just saying we want proof of the amount. I for one don’t see an issue with this. Accountability is greatly appreciated. I’ll be the first to say this… this will be a none issue! Most, if not all departments know reimbursement will take time and still pay their employees prior to the reimbursement, so showing proof of compensation will be easy. Yes there are many volunteer depts that do not operate in this manner but I’d be willingly to bet when that outta county phone rings, chocks will be up and dust will be flying.

4 Likes

I agree with you here!

I agree also with el fuego to a point. However those that can’t pay first and vollies need a good remedy that is consistent with the cost of doing business in Cali. Secondly, large well financed departments in Cali are not pleased with what the FS is trying to do here to the vollies and smaller departments. So watch out on that front. Those chocks may not get pulled so quickly. Those IMT members may still get pulled and these incident management teams may still collapse.

It really comes down to the FS was not pleased with a letter about non payments to Cali cooperators in 2017 and the rest is history. That’s when this snowball started. The FS has known and condoned for years the pay processes for vollies and small departments. Many are jealous that FS retirees are finally making a good wage, more than what the vallejoians are making. So how did they fix it? They threw themselves under there own bus.

The fire service is a true family. I know at my station, my department and at other departments we’re not pleased with how the small departments and volunteers are being treated.

However you’re correct that when smoke is in the air, regardless of whose dirt it is, we will all show up and help each other out. That’s just what the FS is counting on. They also know nobody on Pennsylvania Ave is going to step in and help Cali on this issue until Jan 20, 2021.

3 Likes