Covid19

I believe it’s ok to acknowledge that you personally do not agree with wearing a mask. I think it’s ok to believe masks are needed. What’s important to acknowledge here is, as firefighters we are often looked at as pillars of our communities. Because of this, it’s also important to remember that our job requires us to look at things from a broad perspective and see big picture items, as well as the small ones. We, as civil servants took an oath to protect the public. This is just one more item that we are being asked to adapt with as a way to help the public, and set an example to help safeguard ourselves, co-workers, families and citizens of this state. Sure, when you get back to the station you can joke about it and vent your frustrations, that’s only natural and part of being human. The optics of you as leaders of safety and protection goes far further than our own opinions. All of us, that put on a uniform to protect and serve the citizens of California are required personnel who perform an essential job.

Personnel in any fire department are it’s most vital asset. Wearing a mask protects that asset. Personnel are needed to protect this state.

I am sure somebody will disagree, as I said it’s ok to disagree. All I ask is, before you respond, think deeply about what part of you, or parts of you is so against this idea.

I hope this was not offensive, as I respect each of you for what you bring to the table. It takes all of us to put the fire out.

32 Likes

Not a HIPPA violation

2 Likes

EPBL41, that is an excellent post. I wish I could write half as well as you just did.

Thank you

8 Likes

Well…if you want to stay employed I suggest you follow whatever your Dept requires of you. And if you’re in the fire service and can’t wear a mask…well then maybe you shouldn’t be in the fire service.

7 Likes

Chill out man it was just food for though and just said cause you know it will happen and be tested. And that was from a person I personally know that got in some legal trouble over a covid deal and no one backed him up. Yes people need to follow there departments rules.

2 Likes

And I was just making a general statement that everyone employed most likely already knows. You get cited or arrested for not wearing a mask as a civilian then yes, you may be able to lawyer up and fight it. But the initial thread was about CalFire being required to wear masks when they can’t socially distance on duty, so I initially thought your response was in relation to that. I thought you were suggesting lawyering up if your employer requires it and you choose not to do it. Didn’t mean to sound like I was attacking you because I wasn’t.

Have these masks been RPP approved. :mask:

3 Likes

Is it just me or you all hearing about Covid positives in fire camps and throughout the wildland Fire community? If so please update on those locations.

2 Likes

Its running through all the fire camps. It seems like is everywhere; schools, malls, restaurants, no where is safe. Its almost like a pandemic.

7 Likes

Not sure if this question should be for a new thread but how will this effect federal crews for the rest of the summer?

1 Like

So your telling me people are getting the camp crud. Sounds like the past hundreds of fire seasons.

18 Likes

We have had multiple cases in r3. Most of our resources are out in R1,R6 AND R5 on assignment and some modules have been infected with Covid-19. Most people are not really talking about it,which is troublesome. The people that are talking about it are making in a political issue like they always do. On my forest alone, we have a couple engines that have been down for a couple weeks because both vaccinated and unvaccinated were infected.

10 Likes

Unless you had direct contact with the resource there is not any official notification. And even then it was on a need to know basis. Privacy was cited so not public knowledge. Only found out this year about how sick some folks were last season.

3 Likes

Seems like it was more opinionated than factual information. That’s why it raises concern, also it is completely unverifiable claim as no one person is prevy to that complete information cycle.

6 Likes

Not trying to drum up any fear at all. Its just a reality that is being layered into this busy season. I’m still wondering how we can “legally” enforce our forestry technicians to get a covid-19 vaccination. I’m interested to see what the Washington office says…

4 Likes

Yes the Vid is showing up in Fire Camp. The Beckwourth Complex had 9 of so positive cases, not just “camp crud”. Here is another report I just got today form R-5. R5_COVID-19_Cluster_Lessons_Learned 4_EngModules_22July2021.pdf (192.2 KB) COVID is out there and will continue to be out there from now on. It is a virus and a virus does not go away. I know a letter came out from Randy Moore before he moved to DC stating that, at least in R-5 we are going back to wearing masks in “crowded areas”, sleeper trailers were to reduce occupancy, try to practice 'Module of 1", etc. Close to last years policies but not (yet) as strict.

6 Likes

If people are worried about there health and safety then they need to take the necessary steps to protect them self’s. The other option is to not take assignments to fire camps.

4 Likes

Everyone: This site is about civil discourse and discussion. If you don’t like the thread or what somebody said, then there is the Freedom of Choice which includes the choice to ignore a thread or not post in it.

What will not be tolerated is uncivil, rude, or demeaning discourse.

I had a mentor once, who taught me a very key phrase: Polite, Professional and Courteous Always. That served me well over the years.

20 Likes

I agree with your post about being being tired of hearing about it, as I am too, but we should try to remember there a a lot of public people that aren’t firefighters that read this forum. We are in the eye of the public even though we can (mostly) hide behind a computer screen.

1 Like

All I am gonna say is, proper hygiene, wash your hands, use hand sanitizer and take a shower if you can. I just came from a fire were a “crew” member got covid and their crew was filthy, never showered the whole incident. Proper hygiene, goes along way, just saying

7 Likes