EV Battery Fires

These are dangerous but not EV Battery fires.

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

83 times more likely for a car fire to occur in an ICE vehicle vs EV.

5 times more likely to be hit by lightning in the US than have an EV fire.

EV vehicles have their issues, fires are not one of them (yet).

2 Likes

I think the biggest issue would be suppressing an ev fire, vs a gas or diesel engine fire. Seems to be more difficult or maybe itā€™s just because we donā€™t see them as often and donā€™t know the best way to mitigate it. I am no expert and have no experience with it but maybe some one else can explain better? Maybe technological advances in suppression of ev fires will make it less difficult as we encounter more of these. There is always going to be new things out there that we will have to learn about and train for!

5 Likes

Itā€™s a run away thermal chemical fire. Thereā€™s really no stopping themā€¦just containment woth a thermal blanket, thousands of gallons of water ( then eco. Issues with run off) or just watch them burn until the rx is complete.
Lith-X is a product that works, but having to get close enough to be effective is another issueā€¦

2 Likes

The way I understand it, not really a chemical reaction that can be stopped, but more of an electrical/energy discharge issue. Once fire mechanically damages one cell that is in close proximity to another cell, then each adjacent cell is going to ā€œgo offā€ and dump its energy and damage nearby cells whether you like it or not. Resulting in a lot of heat being generated in a concentrated area which leads to continued fire. Also this is happening in a lot of rectangular packages made of metal or plastic stacked closely together. So it sheds water, not like the engine compartment of a car where there are open spaces for water to go in and around the burning material.

4 Likes