Getting Out of Hand: "This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden. View ignored content."

I guess I like reading side discussion and tangentially related stories in the Q+D threads. D being the operative word here. The facts thread should be for the facts, it seems like people are trying to make both threads be facts only. And if the Q+D gets a little off topic, so what. It keeps new content on the site. When you log in once or twice a day and almost nothing new has appeared, it gets boring. But it’s not my site and you all can do what you want with it.

12 Likes

I agree, the D in QD is often tiptoed around, or limiting or as some feel, censored. It’s usually a good healthy and timely/relevant location to share and expand on said fire. Not necessarily armchair quarterbacking, but healthy discussion can be had, supported by evidence.

It’s said here it feels we have two “facts” threads when I think the facts thread either doesn’t exist because it never got off the ground, or is a bit “slow” or barren compared to the “lively” QD happening in the other thread, because minus play-by-play, facts (a la new information) can naturally be a bit slow. So facts find themselves in QD, then people complain they can’t hear facts above the din of discussion.

Watch Duty is quickly becoming The Facts for California, especially where there is triple coverage behind the scenes. Might leave even more room here for discussion.

Will likely get a lot of new facts in the next 48hrs here in R5 with the incoming wx, get your sleep!

7 Likes

To continue on that point, just over a day into the Mosquito Fire, and Q&D posts outnumber IA posts 8 to 1. I feel it’s pretty clear that folks are here for the discussion as much as for the facts. Maybe moreso.

3 Likes

The Q&D thread was started well before the “I.A” thread and most everything is in that Q&D thread has been pertinent to that fire.

2 Likes

Good point. Folks don’t even care enough to start an IA thread.

1 Like

Or they are not confident in the process of doing so. A few have tried and were chastised for starting with to little information, the fire has big dispatch but is caught quickly. Too much complaining by a few makes it easier to share on Q & D.

7 Likes

Exactly. The IA threads were getting too uptight so everyone now goes to Q&D. So now the uptight are leaving IA because there’s nothing there, and are complaining because discussions occur in the discussion thread. 🤦

4 Likes

I like the discussions but it does seem like there are a few that post random unconfirmed information with the intent to spread fear. Posting things like “she blowing up” or “running south” when I’m sitting on the bumper of my engine on the south side of this fire makes no sense since neither statement is 100 percent accurate. This website link went out to a ton of people in both affected counties and people need to realize posts can induce fear and anxiety for civilians. So yeah, some people should get muted imo.

4 Likes

I’m glad no one on here announces they are following, whenever I see that on Facebook or Twitter I say no one cares.

I.A. threads get tricky because of the amount of information or lack there of like the hermits peak calf canyon fire then it’s just better to stick with the Q&D.

One of crazier things I’ve seen discussed in a fire Q&D is airlifting dozers into remote wilderness areas while arguing about when to use mist tactics nothing that had anything to do with the bear fire near edison lake. That ended with a couple guys getting accounts suspended.

2 Likes

This is kind of turning in to CNN where flashy, attention grabbing words are being used by folks who may not necessarily be at the place they are reporting on. For the fire folks, it reduces credibility and for the citizens who come here because they feel it gives inside info can be very misleading. We have an obligation to do better and sometimes less is more.
Yesterday an individual was making statements about fire activity and behavior based on a camera shot from a camera that was “frozen” in time….a very out dated photo yet the choice was made, with great intent I’m quite sure. Their statements made reference to where the fire must have been heading…it wasn’t heading in the described direction at all.

We must do better.

Be safe and make wise choices today kids, it’s likely to be another exciting day.

4 Likes

“We have an obligation to do better and sometimes less is more.”

Spot on. Thank you. Ignorant sensationalism is extremely counterproductive in the midst of accurate information about very serious matters.

3 Likes

As to the topic of creating IA posts, this may help.
Access the IA Category, look for the blue dot in the lower right corner of the screen, select it and a template comes up for you to answer as many questions as possible.
If you are monitoring the radio from work or home and get a Report on Conditions (ROC) then by all means please create one. We need it to be as accurate as the poster can make it;
Title will be the state its in, the agency having jurisdiction, and the incident name, CA-ABC-DOE
Please post the closest location such as a cross street, town, lat/long etc., how many acres we would prefer the acres be over 5 and actively moving so it doesn’t get into reporting roadside fires etc., rate of spread and potential at the least.

ANY MEMBER MAY CREATE AN IA THREAD, as long as the information is available. Don’t worry if you make a mistake, either edit it yourself or tell a Mod about it and we will get to it as soon as we can.

Do not ask questions in the IA thread, they will either get moved or deleted depending on activity.

WHEN IN DOUBT OR YOU HAVE A QUESTION, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK A MOD AND WE WILL DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO HELP YOU.

Thank you for helping keep this site relevant and useful to our brothers and sisters that use the information.

5 Likes

Balance in all things. People come to discuss and speculate about the fire in the Q&D thread. Arm chair QB’s may make inaccurate statements with good intention. The solution is a response from somebody who knows better correcting them. If we’re only discussing known facts, might as well wait for the agency press release.

4 Likes

That pretty well sums up one of my objections. But it’s not my site, not my rules.

1 Like