Management Objectives ICS 202

Indeed, exactly why I only prioritized control objectives
Troops and leadership in the field should know the priorities in the event all else fails.

5 Likes

This point by firedog1 is particularly true when all else goes to hell and warriors must continue to save lives, defend properties and mitigate the emergency with as much as can practically be accomplished.

2 Likes

Now Iā€™ve done itā€¦ back slidingā€¦

I too am a recovering plans Chief and just realized that may lack of sleep last night is from following this thread. Sleep deprivation from the mind trying to resolve and reconcile ancient incidentsā€¦ itā€™s all coming back to me.

(My T- card is now a Tea Card from my favorite coffee shop where I still get an occasional ā€œPSCā€™s friendā€ a dirty chai with 3 shouts of espresso!)

Keep up the great dialogue re management by objectives.

3 Likes

Do we need a ā€œrecovering plans sectionā€ group on this site lol. Only if you have served under the giant P do you know the true struggle.

3 Likes

I have always been one who advocated reasonable and necessary change and went beyond complaining to fixing and improving whatever I was touching ICSForm202IncidentObjectives~JRHawkins~02aug22.pdf| attachment (87.0 KB) . As such and in furtherance of this string of responses, I offer the attached, DRAFT ICS Form 202 for purposes of discussion. I got the basics for the form from a CAL FIRE IMT who uses it via Google Docs.

Please advise what you think. Thank you very much.

Please donā€™t use the form. It is not approved.

3 Likes

By the way, I was a Plans Boss under the LFO and a Planning Section Chief under the ICS on one occasion during the 1994 Northridge Earthquake at the Disaster Field Office, Pasadena.

3 Likes

My point of the control objectives for other than fire incidents was not so much direct as a rhetorical question. It is not always north of south of etcā€¦ a disease does not recognize that and we have only been marginally successful at stopping water and less so with mud. The Spillway incident was interesting ā€œmaintain the integrity of the damā€ā€¦
I would rather see the management objectives go the way of the Mission-Vision-Valuesā€¦
ā€œWe strive to maintain good communication with public, cooperators and stakeholdersā€ ā€œWe will maintain a safe working environment which protects the lives of our personnel and the publicā€.
That is the howā€¦ to how we will accomplish the control objectives from a ā€œManagementā€ perspective. Its nexus to the control objectives lies with the OSC or any other FF on the incident is faced with a decision about how to deal with situation, they can refer to the management objectives. It should be the moral compass from the IC and the AA.
I do want to stress that we have created a problem with control objectives. We paint ourselves into a corner when we state ā€œthe box isā€¦ west of north of, south of and east ofā€ and there are communities within that box that are not under a current evacuation order. It sets off panic and we bring a lot of pressure on ourselves from local politicians.
I am not sure the solutionā€¦

3 Likes

Heh, I wondered about the question. It was late and I didnā€™t catch your meaning.

I would be curious to look at a hurricane iap control objectives, many times we are at the same mercy of mother nature. Any box is wishful thinking unless your using an ocean. @norcal74 makes a good point when communities are within that box. Is there / should there be an attempt with verbiage to describe some control objectes that talk about efforts to evacuate/defend communities at risk. Im not sure a MO that states provide for public and ff safety is direct enough. However who is the audience of the iap? Its for responders. Its the public facing efforts that explain in more laymans terms what we are doing within that box. I could see the confusion someone just looking at the 202 and not understanding. Again its not a pio document.

3 Likes

AJ I will see if I can find you one. Since I am USAR Plans also.

1 Like