National Fire Weather and News

What is that about? I remember being transported in helicopters operated by some random heli company. Besides that I think the regular forest helitack ship is in reality owned and operated by some company under season contract and not actually owned by the feds.

2 Likes

Judge Rules the Forest Service is in Violation of the Clean Water Act, But May Continue Discharging Retardant

3 Likes

USFS retardant use has a reprieve due to this SCOTUS ruling against the EPA

4 Likes
2 Likes

“Since January 1, 19,693 wildfires have burned 620,986 acres across the United States. These numbers are below the 10-year average of 22,946 wildfires and 1,125,626 acres burned.”

Includes year-to-date statistics 2013-23

5 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

3 Likes
5 Likes

4 Likes

So is the PDS Red Flag a new national level declaration or is this just something the Medford NWS Office is doing?

1 Like

Looks like its been in the works for awhile.

Seems sorta abstract and vacuous. No idea where the initiative for it originated. Was there really a need for an escalatory indicator? Are they looking at precautionary evacuations with no fire starts? Maybe Cal Fire will have something to say about it. I thought the same thing about using the term “areal”.

Plain language should be the rule. Try ‘bejewel, festoon and encrust’ on for size. Fancy words for what PIOs should avoid doing, eh?

Plain Language | U.S. Department of Labor.

Plain Writing Act of 2010
PUBLIC LAW 111–274—OCT. 13, 2010

3 Likes

Oh golly! I mean c’mon man! Totally agree with ghost7. Also, this feels like another example of common sense evaporating in real time. This doesn’t do anything to educate humans about risk or potential. How does this directly help our boots on the ground OR the tax paying citizenry be smarter and more prepared? Let’s be real - you seriously going to tell me that awareness is lacking when we are sitting in the lower right hand corner of the RFW matrix? I understand and appreciate the recognition of “normalization” & "Hindsight bias, et al that occur in humans when it comes to checklistst and pocket cards, etc. Adding a new color & 3 letters are going to fix all of that how?

2 Likes

I’m not trying to imply, ‘this is a threat, get rid of it’, but that you really don’t need things like this coming out of the blue with regard to public safety. Sometimes, it seems the public is being fed half-finished grad school work in place of reliability and stability. I think this might also be a consequence of hiring and pay issues I brought up in a different topic thread.

3 Likes

…and, truth be told, a few bad actors in govt willing to flip an ops table over and try to escape culpability in the confusion. Perhaps a better topic to take up with the Fire Marshals.

1 Like