New CA OES Type 6 arriving

You are right about that from all angles. The problem with this particular OES resource spec is that when we order a type 6 we expect a unit that can get on the old roads and dozer lines to the location we want. These will be limited in that. This will cause an issue for IMTs and ICs/OSC out there once they see that they can’t do what they expect. They may as well just order Ty 3s. Especially if these come with 4 people, there isn’t even a cost savings to speak of. I know if I order type 6s, I expect a smaller, nimble apparatus that can get up in there and get dirty. These units are not that. I wonder what this will mean to the system in general. Will the OES Ty6 resources fill the orders before all of the LG ones out there built for the original intent?
That being said, it is a great little All Hazard resource for an agency that needs it, if the chassis holds up.

6 Likes

I think the other issue is that when a local government takes an OES unit, they have to have their own unit of the same type in the event the OES unit is out of commission, the local government can replace the OES unit with one of theirs. Like San Francisco, they have their own type 6 engines so they got type 6 OES engines not type 3s.

I have heard from several departments that this clause is not being applied to the type 6s or might not be being applied at all.
I know of departments slated for the type 6 with no like unit in possession or out for bid etc.

I didn’t know San Francisco had type 6’s

1 Like

At the risk of straying off-topic, this is a great document:

http://www.ufsw.org/pdfs/apparatus_inventory.pdf

SFFD has had a few of them over the years…

Back when oes Chief Ken Hood was around. He mentioned oes wanting to build a super six that oes could put in the middle of a long hoselay for relay pumping.

Wow, thats a pretty impressive list. Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Exactly. SF actually got ride of all their “Mini-Pumpers”. That document is a few years old. I have heard that waivers are being applied.

2 Likes

City of Riverside is getting one.

SF got rid of their type 6’s a while back.

I was wondering, as I didn’t see any Type 6’s in their equipment listing

That listing posted, while interesting is over 11 years old.

Hope they’ve been able to replace some of those aux equip…some of it would be going on 50 years old.
:articulated_lorry:

Correct. All the mini-pumpers are OOS.

1 Like

San Mateo County:

Central County Fire E2608
San Bruno E2607
San Mateo (2) E2609-2610
South San Francisco E2606

1 Like

I’ve been on a type 6 for the past 5 years. I started with a smaller chassis and my agency has since upgraded to the larger chassis. In my opinion, I can still get anywhere that I could before; it has more to do with the ability of the driver. Having the extra space is also nice. Having gear hanging off the side and red bags piled on top always looked pretty bagger. It’s nice to get that stuff inside. Being able to carry extra hose packs, and equipment just helps get the job done more efficiently. The naysayers were never the ones that have experience in both.

5 Likes

White mountain up in Mono received theirs.

3 Likes

Can you post more pictures so we can see the entire build up, set up.

Thanks

2 Likes

That’s the only one I saw with compartments open.

2 Likes

OES 2605

The compartment above the rear wheels is storage for the firefighter’s gear

7 Likes