News Articles

You did well sir. It’s been a side topic among us long time members for a while and although it was a touchy subject….it needed to be addressed for the betterment of this site and the sanity of its members. This will take some time to iron out but I feel we will move on and be a better site for it

5 Likes

We have listened to your concerns and after much discussion, the moderators have decided to allow news articles to be posted in the California fire news, and weather thread only if it pertains to a fire in California. Otherwise, please post in the national fires and news thread. We will begin monitoring those posts that do not meet the criteria of real and accurate information or news articles for each particular incident that is listed in Q & D. Thank you very much for your feedback, cooperation and participation, it only makes this site better, which is what we are striving for.

18 Likes

That’s seems like a great resolution. Thanks to you and the other mods for taking the time.

2 Likes

Is it worth mentioning the constant posts of pictures from the alert cams that we all have access to? Just curious.

3 Likes

I like the posts of the cams. Saves me time when I’m just checking in and don’t want to dig through the alert site.

I do prefer the link though and would like it to be “bumped” in threads so it’s easier to find.

Just my thoughts.

9 Likes

Another thing that’s kinda nice about the screenshots from cams is it’s good for those of us who aren’t able to see things as they come through the feed. Gives a little perspective on progression of the incident when you look at a later time

4 Likes

I agree, if somebody just links the cam and then you come in half a day later the cam is just focused on some buzzard on a pipe, you don’t know what happened.

8 Likes

I did that once in the park fire thread.

I thought we had this issue resolved. This is pushing real fire threads off the front page that are the most looked at on this site. Why is this still happening. Super frustrating especially after all the input on this topic. Can we please stop this?

6 Likes

I think this cuts both ways. I live in Plumas County CA. Anvilhead’s postings for this region are quite valuable to me.

Note that in other than emergency conditions, i.e., I’m evacuated and don’t have my laptop, I rarely view the site on a tiny phone screen. Hence, there’s plenty of screen real estate and I don’t feel the front page presentation is falling short of what’s happening.

In really busy times I might have to hit the button to view “the rest of it”, but for me, those times are rare.

FWIW, and with respect. This is a wonderful and valuable site.

4 Likes

As you know if a fire isn’t doing much its got to get bumped up. Somehow that 66hr work week thread stays on top.

4 Likes

This is no way applies to anvilhead. I look forward to whatever he can contribute to this site. We all know what this thread is about but it hasn’t made a dent.

2 Likes

100%. Sounds like we might get more active fire weather next week and maybe some of these issues take care of themselves.

5 Likes

Mod Note:
To clear up any misunderstandings or misconceptions, New clips are no longer being added to active incidents either for the Q&A or the IA/Continuing Incidents threads. What this does not mean however that as articles are added to the mutually agreed threads of GACC Weather and News threads that those threads will not elevate in the unread categories. They will elevate the Weather and News threads, that is something that there is not a way to discriminate what is important to a viewer. New activity to a particular thread elevates that thread into the viewers unread categories. Further, it is driven by time of addition which means that the newest post will be at the top of your unread stack.

Hope this helps.

-Keith

13 Likes