Resource IDENTIFICATION / type : explanations

The main difference between alphas and bravos is A is 4 people and bravo is 3

1 Like

But I thought the OES engines were type 2 engines.

1 Like

OES has type 1’s (Usually a three digit number) Type 3’s (Usually four digit number (starts with 8XXX) and Type 6’s are on the way to the field within the next few months.

2 Likes

The OES that are considered type 2 are the same as the type 1’s just staffed with 3 instead of 4. it is physically the same Engine, it is the staffing that makes it a Bravo or Type 2. When staffed with 4 it is a Type 1 or Alpha. The Type 1 or 2 Engines are 3 digit (Ex. OES 304) Type 3’s are 4 digit (Ex. OES 8633). And like mentioned above soon to be type 6 or F (Patrols).

3 Likes

3 Likes

OES t1 get typed as bravo w a crew of 3 vs alpha with 4

1 Like

Since were on the subject of resource ID & ST info and for those who are new to the system, here is a quick run down of how the system is put together. It seems complicated, but once you get a hang of it, it’s genius in its design. I’m going to geek out here for a bit, so hang on.

A couple of basic rules:

1. Every FD that participates in the CA Master Mutual Aid plan is assigned a three letter department identifier (ie SCR=Sacramento Fire Department).

2. Every Local Government operational area (OA) or county is assigned a 3 letter identifier, and always start with the letter “X” (ie XPL=Placer County). The Tahoe Basin (XTB) and LA Co. are their own unique animals. The basin OA consist of 3 different counties and part of NV, so they are grouped them into their own OA. LA Co. is so large, that they split the county into 6 OA’s. (XLA, XLC, etc)

3. Any 3 letter identifier that ends in a “U” is a Cal-Fire Ranger Unit (ie NEU=Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit)

4. Any 3 letter identifier that ends in a “F” is a Forest service Forest (ie TNF-Tahoe National Forest)

5. Each Local Government Operational Area, is pre-assigned a 25 number block of ST numbers (ie Nevada Co is 100-124). Most OA’s re-set their numbers at the end of the year…a couple of OA’s choose to reset the numbers after the ST gets home.

6. Ca is split up into 6 mutual aid regions.

7. Strike teams can only be used for Engines, Crews, and Dozers. Everything else is a single resource and is order as a single resource.

Your typical strike team number consist of an alpha-numeric string that tells everyone who you are and where you are from and this is how they track you through the system. The standard ST number consist of your operational area 3 letter ID, the OES region you are from, your sequential ST number, and your ST type. For example:

XSA 4155C: XSA= from Sac Co, 4= from OES Reg 4, 155= ST# C=Charley or Type 3 ST (refered to a mix or “rainbow team” because is has engines from different departments in Sac Co.)

If all resources (engines, crews, dozers) come from the same agency, then the agency 3 letter identifier is assigned instead of the OA 3 letter identifier (ie XSA vs SAC).

SAC 4155C: is an all Sac Metro strike team, and everything else in the ST number stays the same

OES strike team numbers are slightly different than the LG, so as not to be confused with at LG or Cal Fire. The second number in the number sequence is always an “8” to help separate them from the LG ID numbers.

OES 4804A: OES= OES resource, 4= from Reg 4, 8=OES engine, 04= ST#, A= Alpha or type I ST.

Cal Fire uses it own system, however the alpha-numeric components are the same. The big difference is their ST’s always begin with the number “9”. The second two numbers are their respective region (different than OES regions) and ranger unit ID, and the last number is their ST #.

CDF-9231G: 9= is a Cal Fire resource, 2=Cal Fire Region 2, 3= NEU ranger unit number, 1= 2nd strike team out (they start at “0”, G= Hand crew ST

The Feds use a system that is similar to the OES numbers in that if the second number is a “6” then is a USFS asset and if the second number is a “7” then is another Fed agency (BLM, BOI, Nat Parks, etc) and their block of ST numbers range from 00-99.

PNF-3632 C: PNF=Plumas NF, 3=OES region 3, 32=ST#, C=Type 3 strike team

More often than not, during the incident, most of us drop the 3 letter and just refer to our ST #. For example on the radio we just call ourselves “4804C” and we even shorten it to “04C” when we are working in our division. The letters and numbers are used for the paperwork side of the incident. (Resources, IAP, Finance, LOGS, etc)

Remember, there are guys who are a lot smarter than me who understand this stuff way better, and this was just the entry level explanation of how the system works…

I’m exhausted… :slight_smile:

Here is a link for some bed time reading (a sure cure or insomnia)

http://firescope.caloes.ca.gov/macs-docs/MACS-410-2.pdf

20 Likes

When is that xsa 04C going to go out?

1 Like

Hard to say…there are several pending ST request for the Delta in ROSS…

2 Likes

Copy thanks.

2 Likes

You mean LA County. LA City is LFD, LA County is LAC. The various departments of incorporated cities in LA County are part of the XLx group. Verdugo Fire is XLB (IIRC), and I have a list of which departments belong to which zone somewhere in my archives.

You are correct…LA Co. I’m not sure how the exact break down goes for the LA Co. area, the 420-1 just has them listed at XLA-XLG (there is no XLD)…I’ll go back and update my post…good catch!

1 Like

OES Type 6’s? They still have some W/T’s correct?

OES doesn’t have Type 6 engines, only Type 1, Type 3 and Water Tenders.

1 Like

Roger. I was just looking at a post further up where someone said 6’s are on order.

I do know they also have new Type 2 Haz-Mat rigs, Swiftwater trucks and trailers, as well as USAR Trailers.

Smoky Behr, you are correct that CAL OES does not “currently” have T6’s, but the order for the patrols for CAL OES has been placed and they are in the process of being built to distribute throughout CA like the T1’s and T3’s. “Structure Defence” is the the new “Structure Protection”, and the patrols fill that need.

More departments will be able to participate in mutual aid now, only having to supply 2 personnel instead of three. So while they are not in CA yet they will be, just in time for the spring greenup of fine fuels.

I knew you knew this, it was really for the folks who did not know this was coming. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you ! It may seem like a Long post but well explained With lots of info!

1 Like
1 Like

Download this: https://firescope.caloes.ca.gov/ICS%20Documents/MACS%20410-2.pdf

Page B-2

6 Likes

XKE represents the op area. Should only be used if it was a rainbow strike team. If it’s all from Kern it would stay a KRN. ST/TF.

4 Likes