Resource IDENTIFICATION / type : explanations

Smoky Behr, you are correct that CAL OES does not “currently” have T6’s, but the order for the patrols for CAL OES has been placed and they are in the process of being built to distribute throughout CA like the T1’s and T3’s. “Structure Defence” is the the new “Structure Protection”, and the patrols fill that need.

More departments will be able to participate in mutual aid now, only having to supply 2 personnel instead of three. So while they are not in CA yet they will be, just in time for the spring greenup of fine fuels.

I knew you knew this, it was really for the folks who did not know this was coming. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you ! It may seem like a Long post but well explained With lots of info!

1 Like
1 Like

Download this: https://firescope.caloes.ca.gov/ICS%20Documents/MACS%20410-2.pdf

Page B-2

6 Likes

XKE represents the op area. Should only be used if it was a rainbow strike team. If it’s all from Kern it would stay a KRN. ST/TF.

4 Likes

Any strike team / task force made up of units from different agencies from the same op area, the identifier begins with an “X” meaning it’s a mixed team.

Example: XVE (mixed team from Ventura County), with units from Ventura City, Oxnard, Fillmore and sometimes the Navy Base.

Teams assembled from different op areas will typically take the designator from where the strike team leader is from.

Example: Strike team with 2 engines from Long Beach, 2 from Torrance, 1 from Downey, and a STL from Redondo Beach, would take the designator XLG. (Mixed, from Los Angeles County, Area G).

3 Likes

I urge everyone to resist abbreviation on the ST Number. ST 4804C using 04C can result in two serious issues. There is a significant chance there are more than one 04C St on an incident. At briefing same ST will be 4804C, then on the line some may use 04C and others use 4804C giving the impression there are two ST’s operating when they are in fact one in the Same. As an DIV I would insist on all 4 numbers, most of the Ops Chiefs I worked for would require the same. Just some food for thought from an old retired guy.

4 Likes

Hi all,

I’ve bumped this back open and included a link that shows the three letter identifiers for each department/forest/ district etc. Please take the time to research and include when naming the fires.

Thanks,

MOD-FJ

14 Likes