RX Burn Boss Arrested

4 Likes

Any more details? Does anyone know if USFS is providing representation in court?

1 Like

All Forest Service Employees,

On February 5, news broke that Rick Snodgrass, a Forest Service employee on the Malheur National Forest, is scheduled to be arraigned March 4 in Oregon’s Grant County Court on the charge of reckless burning for leading an approved prescribed fire that crossed over onto private lands. While the matter is being handled by an attorney chosen by Rick, paid for by the Department of Justice, I am deeply concerned by this new development. Our forest, regional and national leaders are fully engaged.

When I first communicated with you about this subject, I shared that staff on the ground were engaging in appropriate, coordinated, and vital prescribed fire work alongside state and other colleagues, approved and supported by the agency administrator. That fact is still true today. Another fact is that we will continue to ensure Rick is supported in every way and defended vigorously in court.

Over the last year, forest and community leaders have made real efforts to improve relationships. That has translated to building trust where it had been diminished. I expect to continue these efforts and hope we can quickly move past this situation.

To Rick and his family, and all the affected employees in this situation, hear me—I, too, find it disheartening that an employee would be arrested and criminally charged in the course of his duties. We, your agency leadership, support Rick and his family as we support and share risk and responsibility of our work with every employee.

Prescribed fire is a critical tool for reducing wildfire risk, protecting communities, and improving the health and resiliency of the nation’s forests and grasslands. This is the work your leaders and I ask you to do – no one is in this work alone. We are committed to learning and sharing the risk and responsibility together, always.

Our agency stands behind our team members when they carry out their official duties responsibly and follow agency protocols; in these types of situations, the agency should be held accountable, not an individual employee.

I thank each of you for doing your part and I know you, too, will keep Rick and his family in your thoughts. This has been a tough road for them, and it is only going to be tougher as this situation continues to unfold.

I will keep you apprised as more information becomes available.

Randy Moore

Chief

7 Likes

The arrest itself is insane but what’s more insane? That McKinley (sheriff) was the only witness to testify at the Grand Jury. The Grand Jury didn’t even get to hear from the property owner! SO DISGUSTED. Let’s hope the feds charge McKinley with something.

5 Likes

If the sheriff was called after the escape, then he would only be able to testify “ hearsay “. If no direct testimony, sounds like the results were predetermined.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely right. Anything he testified to was something he was told by someone else.

2 Likes

A grand jury is 100% one sided

A ham sandwich could be indicted by a turkey.

Unfortunately, the case will have to go through the process.

5 Likes

The all of the United States government is on trial in a Kangaroo Court

7 Likes

The Sheriff is an anti government, Bundy backer.

4 Likes
5 Likes