Should we do a better job at explaining why we monitor fires, or suppress them immediately?

Hah, that sounds like its own thread!

2 Likes

I don’t think you’ll find anyone in the agency arguing that widespread, high severity, high mortality fire creates resilient forests

3 Likes

The Federal Land Agencies insist on trying to “manage” fires during peak fire season in the midst of a long term drought. Even when they go “Full Suppression” many times it is in a modified sense…wilderness rules etc. How many “managed” fires have escaped control in the past several fire seasons ? I suspect one reason they continue this practice is there are no repercussions. Not every fire escape is an Act of God. I think we should hold the responsible people to account. So yes…I think they advocate hot , stand replacing wildfire to create the mosaic they want.

1 Like

Somebody will be explaining: (found on Facebook feed) Redirecting...[McClintock letter ]

3 Likes
  1. Do you believe a boatload of unskilled labor could have handled this from the get go, or based upon all my questions I have listed should I not be a d…bag and admit this requires skilled labor.
1 Like

I just saw it and shared thinking it was relevant to this discussion. I personally think you all are awesome (and having watched this forum for a few years now you all are where the brains are too.) Lots of hard earned wisdom here.

Nothing against you. :+1: I just think that guy is a tool and a hypocrite who does nothing for his constituents. It was obvious that the Tamarack fire would be investigated or as someone previously posted litigated (if it hasn’t started already), he just likes jumping on the bandwagon to make it seem like he gives a ****.

3 Likes

Agreed. I have written a few editorials about some of his “ideas” concerning the back country.

1 Like

McQlintock is a about as knowledgeable as a bag of rocks. He’s a supporter of the big lie and proved this by lying about the skill sets of Wildland firefighters.

7 Likes

And the same could be said for any other politician from either party.
He said what he said, he was an idiot for saying it, let’s not get into that discussion because we can pull stupid statements from both parties that wont change a blessed thing.

5 Likes

At least he made an effort. That’s more than I see from most politicians

5 Likes

This is very well put and yet very intense. As much as what PG&E is going to do is at lest a step in the right direction, what you way make me curious as too how Response Centers and or whomever runs the ship in terms of Deployment are going to incorporate all of these wholistic factors into Response Strategies. Essentially we need to turn Response strategies upside down and integrate big time biological/ecological issues. Which are based on Analyses as well. And oh, what are Responses? Based on models of x number of factors at the current time. Sure, beat me up, I’m just an unemployed GIS freak, but at the same time this does excite me and wish I could be in the same rooms and seminars and what not where this stuff gets talked about. Universities and institutions need to incorporate not just the Choir but those that are on the front lines–i.e. the CalFIRES and the Response Personnel. This is not a team effort if there are two ends of the building that aren’t speaking to each other.

2 Likes

Tamarack Fire: Before it grew into out-of-control blaze, Forest Service decided to let it burn - CNN

1 Like

Like the NEW SQF start. Accountability and responsibility.

1 Like

Relevant op-ed piece by the retired California State Forester:

4 Likes

Director Pimlott is completely correct

3 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly

IA. Couldn’t agree with you more.

It seems telling that someone presumably politically connected took such a shot as this. I agree with what he said. I have heard the same things coming out of high echelon CF personnel for many years, off the record of course. Seems like their patience is wearing thin.

1 Like

Do you remember what happened when the USFS tanker fleet was grounded the last time and Calfire said I-A only for it’s aircraft if it was on fed land and was threat to sra.

2 Likes