USFS suspending contractors?

Anyone having problems passing there heavy equipment inspections this year ?

The USFS was for many years a truly great organization. After an astonishing issue with information or better described as no or incorrect information for months regarding camp ground opening on the Umpqua NF in Oregon I penned a letter to the Secretary of Agriculture suggesting a name change from the US Forest Service to the US Forest Administration as there is no service left in the Forest Service. Sounds like the sam issue contractors are dealing with. I hope for the best, stay safe!

4 Likes

I hear most water tender folks are or have already, signed with CF and jave said the heck with the FS.

I remember a few decades ago when gov’t employees were ‘public servants’ and they presented themselves that way and took honor in doing so. More recently, I see them wearIng the hat of ‘Im the one in authority here, and you are subject to my dictates’.

I think it is very funny that the Forest Service decided to go with 40% of normal water tenders this year under contract over previous contracts. 1 large complex in the Modoc has stripped N. Cal of all contract WT and they started calling So Cal forest looking for WT yesterday. What is going to happen when they have 3 or 4 good fires going? The contracting officers dropped the ball BIG TIME. Good luck

6 Likes

I don’t know if there’s 40% less this year compared to last year I know that seems like a lot less I count total of 100 water tenders on the FS list for North Ops and 53 for South Ops. But when the feds put out on fedbiz and sent out email for the about the WT solicitation and a contractor misses the deadline or can’t pass the inspection I don’t think blaming the contracting officers for dropping the ball.

3 Likes

A minimum of 68 water tenders are lost at this time. Interesting to note that one of the procurement officers felt Region 5 had to many pieces of equipment. The next 2 years we will have a considerable amount of equipment lost to region 5. Seems she got her agenda done…at the cost to our forests and the resources they denied a contract.

3 Likes

And to top it off! I read somewhere i think it was on VIPIR that R-5 C/O Matt got a promotion!!!

2 Likes

Mr. Gagnon got a promotion…well bless his sweet pea picking little heart! If you can’t do your job and you systematically fail every contractor in region 5 on every level you deserve to be promoted. The Dept. of Forestry is growing larger with individuals not capable or able to do their job. Interesting that it coincides with all the fires growing larger in region 5.

2 Likes

For the record
Mr. Gagnon works for the US FOREST SERVICE not the Dept of Forestry

7 Likes

You are right and I was not paying attention. Thank you

2 Likes

looks like someone’s decisions is coming back to bite them about right now.

4 Likes

Yep! I had a feeling it might! I got 2 emails from R5 C/O but I think I’m going to Lake Powell instead.

6 Likes