Wildland Firefighter Entry Level Pay

I personally think, this is baked into the cake and the point of no return has already been passed.

In California MOST ALL LG depts have between 15-30% vacancy rate and its growing in most cases. Depts that once only hired Paramedics that had 1yr field experience and a SFT FF1. Will now hire almost anyone with a EMT card and put them through a SFT academy.

I know of several So Calif, Inland Empire depts that have Vacancies in all ranks. Some are offering a $15,000 signing bonus. While others are recruiting from Senior class at local high schools. Others have even taking their training staff and pushed them to stations to help alleviate the force hire problems.

Until the DEMOGRAPHICS problem is solved, this problem will continue and get worse with time.

Not just a FEDERAL FF problem. Rather it’s an ever growing BLUE COLLAR Labor problem.

12 Likes

Still waiting for the house to introduce… start writing those representatives. Friends, Family, everyone you can imagine. Once introduced, it has to go to committee, then vote… we have less than 60 days… tick tock tick tock…

5 Likes

Any updates? September is coming up quick

3 Likes

Im taking the silence as a negative

2 Likes

Congress is on August recess. Won’t be any movement till they get back.

The house is introducing a companion bill for the senates.

3 Likes

I appreciate that info. Good to know. Sounds like there is a chance then it might go through without a lapse

Update: Wildland firefighter pay, classification

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Update: Members of Congress recognize need to address wildland firefighter pay during appropriations process

Aug. 10, 2023

A lot of activity has been taking place in Congress around wildland firefighter pay these last few weeks. As you know from the last update, a bipartisan group of senators introduced the “Wildland Firefighter Paycheck Protection Act of 2023” (S. 2272) on July 12, which would provide special base rates and premium pay for wildland firefighters. And just this week, on Aug. 8, a bipartisan group in the House introduced the companion bill.

The Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee considered S. 2272 during a business meeting held on July 26. The bill was voted favorably out of the committee on a bipartisan basis by a vote of 10-1 and now awaits further consideration by the full Senate.

The appropriations process is also in full swing on Capitol Hill right now. This is the time of year when Appropriations Committees (those that oversee federal agency funding) hold their business meetings regarding the various bills that fund the federal government. During these business meetings (or mark-ups), members of Congress offer and vote on amendments related to these funding bills, committee members vote to accept or reject the amendments and then vote to move the bill forward for consideration before the full Senate or House. These mark-ups are an important step forward in the process to fund the government before the next fiscal year. Both committees that oversee and provide funding for the Forest Service—the House and Senate Appropriations Committees—held their business meetings last month. You can view those meetings here:

House: Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies (118th Congress) | House Committee on Appropriations—Republicans

Senate: Hearing | Hearings | United States Senate Committee on Appropriations

During their business meetings, numerous members of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees expressed support for averting the pay cliff. The final reports that accompany the final bills that passed out of both the House and Senate committees contained language recognizing the administration’s legislative proposal regarding firefighter compensation and the need for authorization.

• House Report language: "The Committee is aware of the Administration’s legislative proposal regarding firefighter compensation and the request for additional funding to implement the legislation. If authorizing legislation regarding firefighter compensation is enacted, the Committee will consider providing the funding required to implement such Act.”
  • Senate Report language: “The President’s budget submission included a package of firefighter pay-related legislative proposals and the Committee awaits authorization committee action to enact those proposals. The Committee is committed to providing the required resources to implement these compensation reforms once they are enacted."

Congress is in recess for the month of August and will return in September to further consider legislation related to firefighter compensation before the end of the fiscal year. We are optimistic that Congress will send legislation regarding a permanent wildland firefighter pay fix to the president’s desk. Further, we remain committed to doing everything we can to ensure all our wildland firefighters are rewarded for the dangerous, grueling work they do to protect communities, infrastructure and natural resources.

We are also beginning to schedule town halls by region to provide information on these proposals and answer your questions. Look for one coming to your region soon.

4 Likes

Thats good info, appreciate that. Thats the stuff we need to hear about

Is there any idea about how long it will take for us to recieve the pay if it is to pass? How long the lapse will be

1 Like

I said it once when this thread started, and I’ll say it again, don’t trust the Federal Government ever! You have to trust in yourself, and if that means jumping agencies do it. Having been in government 22 yrs. as an elected official the government rarely gets it right. If you can’t help the House Members or Senate Members politically, you mean nothing to them. Good luck on moving this issue forward and getting results but count on yourself first and go where your paid what your worth. Godspeed!

8 Likes

Talking Points
[OWF-Wildland-Firefighter-Pay-TPs-FINAL-08.21.2023.pdf|attachment](upload://rDIXTcNKH3s0031snDFYhrbP1vz.pdf) (102.2 KB)

Try again.

3 Likes

The bill states on both the house and senate version, it will take effect on Oct 1st

3 Likes

Copy, hopefully. Original bill said 20k base pay raise also lol

1 Like

You can read the txt of the Bill in the link below

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/5169/text?s=2&r=6&q={"search"%3A["Joe+neguse"]}

Please forgive my ignorance, but I am under the impression that congress is still in an August recess and when I check the progress of hr 5169, it states that the bill has simply been introduced. So how and when do we anticipate the bill reaching the presidents desk for signing, and has “continued” pay been solidified in order to avoid a massive pay cut prior to something being signed by biden into law? I’m confused a bit on the whole thing, thank you

7 Likes

Both sides (Senate and House) have been introduced. The Senate bill was introduced and passed committee with 1 week! That never happens. The House version has mirror language as the Senate version. It now needs to go to committee and pass. Then once both versions get through and because of the mirrored languages and being bipartisan it has a huge chance to pass. Then it’s off to the president. But if anything gets in a way of it aka gov shutdown, Bad faith bargaining or world news changes the course of events. We will be in trouble. Either way it’s gonna be a nail biter!! We need more cosponsors from the Senate and House. So keep writing letters!!! I’ve provided many links in this chat. Use them to share the message with everyone and anyone

6 Likes

Let’s not forget POISON PILL legislation. With the threat of a Government shutdown due to the budget impasse, the current political climate surrounding the President and former president and the current economic climate.

If this bill is a stand alone(highly doubtful) it will pass with Veto Proof majorities.

If this bill gets attached to something like a CR(continuing resolution) for say the DOD, it will pass.

But, and sadly this is what I suspect would happen. This bill would be attached to something like minimum wage, climate change, etc legislation. This bill would be DOA.

As proof, I want to point out the C-130 fiasco that continues, 10+ years later. Calfire has had the planes for 5yr and the 1st one was supposed to be tanked 2yr ago.

5 Likes

Not to get down in the weeds but to keep things honest…

A “wrecking amendment” would usually be passed by someone/party that is opposed to the original bill. In order for the amendment to be passed a majority would have to approve (usually in committee). This usually occurs by someone/group in the majority party who don’t want the bill to be passed but don’t want to be seen as opposing the original bill. Thus the most likely form of a wrecking amendment would be something along the lines of defunding certain sections of the government (FBI, DOJ, etc), advancing a political point, legislation on abortion, etc…

My guess is it will either be clean legislation or more along the lines of your 2nd suggestion. It will be cobbled together with must pass legislation so everyone (except the wackadoodles) will be able to claim responsibility for helping Fed FFs as this is usually a winner back home. This is assuming thing don’t get derailed with a shutdown, etc…

If what you think (legislation w/a poison pill amendment) comes to pass out of the house, the senate will strip it out in conference.

3 Likes

And here folks is the Poison Pill I mentioned in my prior post.

3 Likes