Wildland Firefighter Entry Level Pay

You’re absolutely correct, the fact that we are this far with any change with this much attention…is well…incredible. never thought we see this day.

4 Likes

Keep fighting. Keep the volume up.

Would really like to see starting pay at 20 and scaled up through the ranks.

2 Likes

Infrastructure Bill Directs $3.3B to Wildland Firefighting

Nov. 8, 2021

Infrastructure legislation passed by Congress and heading to the President’s desk will address wildland firefighter pay and reduction of fuel loads.
(Source Firehouse.com News)

The text being referenced is the following…
Senate file S.2377 – Energy Infrastructure Act

Pages 483 and 490 of the 578 pages of the 117th Congress, 1st session S.2377, “To invest in the energy and outdoor infrastructure of the United States to deploy new and innovative technologies, update existing infrastructure to be reliable and resilient, and secure energy infrastructure against physical and cyber threats, and for other purposes”

Found on Page 483…
(2) $600,000,000 shall be made available for the salaries
and expenses of Federal wildland firefighters in accordance
with subsection (d), of which–
(A) $120,000,000 shall be made available to the
Secretary of the Interior; and
(B) $480,000,000 shall be made available to the
Secretary of Agriculture;

Found on Page 490…
(d) Wildland Firefighters.–
(1) In general.–Subject to the availability of
appropriations, not later than 180 days after the date of
enactment of this Act, the Secretary of the Interior and the
Secretary of Agriculture shall, using the amounts made
available under subsection (c)(2), coordinate with the Director
of the Office of Personnel Management to develop a distinct
wildland firefighter'' occupational series. (2) Hazardous duty differential not affected.--Section 5545(d)(1) of title 5, United States Code, is amended by striking except’’ and all that follows through and'' at the end and inserting the following: except–
(A) an employee in an occupational series covering positions for which the primary duties involve the prevention, control, suppression, or management of wildland fires, as determined by the Office; and (B) in such other circumstances as the Office may
by regulation prescribe; and’’.
(3) Current employees.–Any individual employed as a
wildland firefighter on the date on which the occupational
series established under paragraph (1) takes effect may elect–
(A) to remain in the occupational series in which
the individual is employed; or
(B) to be included in the ``wildland firefighter’’
occupational series established under that paragraph.
(4) Permanent employees; increase in salary.–Using the
amounts made available under subsection (c)(2), beginning
October 1, 2021, the Secretary of the Interior and the
Secretary of Agriculture shall–
(A) seek to convert not fewer than 1,000 seasonal
wildland firefighters to wildland firefighters that–
(i) are full-time, permanent, year-round
Federal employees; and
(ii) reduce hazardous fuels on Federal land
not fewer than 800 hours per year; and
(B) increase the base salary of a Federal wildland
firefighter by the lesser of an amount that is
commensurate with an increase of $20,000 per year or an
amount equal to 50 percent of the base salary, if the
Secretary concerned, in coordination with the Director
of the Office of Personnel Management, makes a written
determination that the position of the Federal wildland
firefighter is located within a specified geographic
area in which it is difficult to recruit or retain a
Federal wildland firefighter.
(5) National wildfire coordinating group.–Using the
amounts made available under subsection (c)(2), not later than
October 1, 2022, the Secretary of the Interior and the
Secretary of Agriculture shall–
(A) develop and adhere to recommendations for
mitigation strategies for wildland firefighters to
minimize exposure due to line-of-duty environmental
hazards; and
(B) establish programs for permanent, temporary,
seasonal, and year-round wildland firefighters to
recognize and address mental health needs, including
post-traumatic stress disorder care.

5 Likes

Thanks for keeping us updated MHB. And kudos to the 13 Republicans and 215 Democrats that recognized the importance of adequate compensation for their employees they have jurisdiction over. Hopefully members of congress will also understand the #TimHartAct is the second step in this multistep solution and pass it also.

6 Likes

Heard a rumor of getting back pay from October 1st. Anybody else hear of this?

The Grassroots Wildland Firefighters ‘Infrastructure Bill’ page does a good job of breaking down this bill. From the FAQs:

How much funding is appropriated for wildland firefighter pay increases?

There is $600M dollars appropriated for federal wildland firefighter pay increases, among other things. $120M for DOI and $480M for the USDA

When does the pay increase go into effect?

The pay increase starts October 1st, 2021, and should be retroactive.

2 Likes

Probably shouldn’t put this out there…it goes without saying though that uncle Sam eats with the Sawyers in the line.
What if, by the time all the washing and bleaching of a well intended few paragraphs in a long bill, our own top, non fire professionals, sent the direction down as a reoccuring annual bonus of 20,000 or 50% and it didn’t effect any differentials?
Everyone going exempt on that one??? Much like they did the token bonus of this year. I personally would have rather taken a mega millions quick pick in exchange.

1 Like

In the text it says…

“Increase the base salary of a Federal wildland firefighter”

Keyword… SALARY, not bonus…

3 Likes

What hasn’t been discussed unless I missed it, is all of the admin duties supervisors are dealt with nowadays. In conjunction with succession planning, we need to get out of the office and help facilitate the real work of firefighting and train our folks. With the gap that we have in the entry and middle level it’s hard to see how just a 20k pay bump is going to help in that realm…at least in the next 5-10 years. That’s how far we are behind in succession planning. Think of all of the IC3 and DIVS we are loosing. The fact is f the matter is we have lost so much in the last 10 years, is going to take a bit to gain those quals back!

3 Likes

You have a valid point. In California, Calfire has identified the same problem, but with ALL PERMANENTE Employees. The last “Blue Book” that was published almost 2 years ago identified 12 weeks a year that an employee is not available to do their primary job. Those 12 weeks are made up of required training, promotional training, Vacation & Sick days. That means an employee is only available approximately 86% of the time. Now add to that the required administrative duties it takes a 10hr day and either turns it into a 12-14hr day or requires the employee to work on their days off.

Something that still hasn’t been discussed and I’m open to any idea’s. Is the problem of Demographics. More Americans are leaving the work force than entering the work force. The labor force participation rate in October 2021 was 61.5 while in February 2021 it was 63.4. At the end of 2006 the rate was 67.6.

All the raises in the world Will not solve the problem of Demographics.

2 Likes

I caught the word salary a few weeks ago as well. Hard to say what the agency bureaucrats do with that one. Which is why we need to watch, listen and share information.

Excellent points by ehoss and 3376. Only way you fill that gap is stop the flood gates of those leaving and get some experienced people to apply back. Hard to see that occurring with a 3-5 year limited amount of funding. But maybe.

Don’t get me wrong, this is all moving in the right direction and I am thankful. The headwinds from years of inaction to get us back to excellent staffing numbers with more strong knowledgable fire leaders on the ground wont be easy and will take years. Everything starts with significantly improved entry level pay ($20) and scales up appropriately through the ranks.

We need the #TimHartAct

5 Likes

THE BILL HAS BECOME LAW!!!
POTUS signed it 11/15/21 1630hr EST

Congratulations to Casey, MHP and the rest who have fought the battle for over two decades

5 Likes

One National Forest will have two 30-person hotshot crews next year - Wildfire Today

7 Likes

Any one have any insight on what this may mean for the AD’s? I have not seen anything on that so far. Thanks for any intel.

1 Like

Also, what happens to militia that take fire assignments?

AD’s? You mean us that are mere pieces of debris stuck to the bottom of a shoe? It would be nice but… And they probably won’t even consider reinstating the “retiree” programs that some LG departments were sponsoring.

1 Like

Most are aware of the site, but just in case you don’t. They update with FAQs often, so maybe some language will pop with clarity about AD, militia, and other full timer’s questions. Need clarity on who exactly will be moved to wildland firefighter series. As mentioned on their site what about dispatchers…also what about upper tier fire management series and there is rumor mill about only GS-9 or below being benefited. Again rumor, left over from cash award stipulations?

2 Likes

ADs are basically saving our bacon these days and the agencies should come up with something better for ADs outside this new law.

I have some ideas on how local governments could still mob overhead staying within the cfaa agreement. But we should kick that around more over in the cfaa thread.

1 Like

My Guess is Little T and Dalton

3 Likes

I think the 10 man engine crews, creating a 3-4 12 hour shift, will be good improvement for the guys and gals. Time off and time with family is important for a healthy and productive work force.

Heck if the Tim Heart act passes and the 3-4 12hour shifts was adopted I would give some serious thought to leaving my LG job and joining the Forest Service!

4 Likes