Wildland Firefighter Entry Level Pay

That meeting beat me down. I resigned this morning. My heart is with everyone still holding out.

Stay safe and don’t work above your PD’s.

8 Likes

Yeah it sucked the last of the motivation I had left. 2 years-3 months-28 days.

5 Likes

Best of luck Timber. Hopefully good things will happen and we can get you back.

5 Likes
5 Likes

How long until we actually know what positions or series will be included in this “stipend” ?
as a 5716 from R5 I’m probably on fire assignments more than most of the region yet when it comes to the Wage Grade employees we seem to get forgotten about and I’m hoping this isn’t just another one of those times.

4 Likes

I think the Wage Grade Dozer Operator questions on the call seemed to have surprised them. Like, oh yeah, deer in headlights response. I could be wrong, that was the sense I got.

Hope it works out for the Dozer Operators

1 Like
1 Like

Why is the US Forest Service holding up the DOI from moving forward with this pay increase. Wait, congress wants to be uniform and even between both agencies. When will people wake up and see that Randy Moore and his staff do not support this and never will.

4 Likes

Don’t ever trust the bureaucrats! Until you see actual money going into your bank account it’s just political talk to appease the troops and keep them at bay. Those at the top sing the party line of the decision makers, Congress!

2 Likes

Randy Moore is the same person who revoked rehire eligibility a decade ago strictly to be able to increase diversity at the expense of the welfare of the modules and the employees. Unless he’s had an epiphany his objectives do not align with what’s best for those in the field, I wouldn’t expect much support from him.

3 Likes

I dont think FS is holding up DOI. Of course each agencies leadership will likely blame the other for holding things up. DOI is old school, fires not that big or important to DOI bureaucrats. At least in the FS fire management is massive percentage of the workforce.

FS will blame OPM And OPM will point the finger back.

1 Like

DOI will blame the FS and have every right too. Just look at numbers, DOI is never allowed to run in the negative. But on the other side of the coin FS is always in the hole. Anyone think why the FS totally switched up their budget system to only 2 codes? Trying to match a system that works. Oh but wait, the FS wants to be a fire department (straight from many chief 1’s and 2’s) rather then be a true land management agency.

2 Likes

Good story on Fed fire retention today on NPR.

4 Likes

Shameful that a letter like this had to be written. It should be as easy to get our fed folks a raise as it is to send 40 Billion to Eukraine. Both worthy efforts but blows my mind one was easier to do than the other.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing Hrryup. Nice job NFFE.

2 Likes
4 Likes