66 Hour Work Week

I did the 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 in the 90’s on the B ride. Ughhh.

2 Likes

The same folks that will tell you mental health is a priority and then only give someone 2 weeks vacation in January.

4 Likes

It’s a shame that still happens

1 Like

NIRA 23 10 10 10

3 Likes

Don’t discount the ‘old guys’. A foundation was laid over time. A walk thru time…

1932 - First budgeted “standby” fire suppression crews. Paid $25/month + boarding.
1944 - Fire control personnel duty week changed to 6 days/week with 1 day off allowed.
1945 - Year-round employment pay authorized for 1 Foreman per crew and 1 Cook per Unit.
1948 - 5 day/120 hour duty week established for permanent personnel. [24-24-24-24-24]
10% bonus for “standby” time and 5% bonus for “on call” time.
1961 - 5 day/104 hour duty week established July 1 for “fire crew group” [24-24-24-24-8]
Compensating Time Off leave credits earned in lieu of OT plus fire season bonus
1965 - 4 day/96 hour duty week established July 14th for permanent personnel. [24-24-24-24]
Duty week for seasonal personnel = 5 day [24-24-24-24-12?]
1971 - 4 day/84 hour duty week established July 1 for permanent personnel. [24-24-24-12]
Duty week for SFRI and seasonal personnel = 5 day/108 hours [24-24-24-24-12]
1977 - 3 day/72 hour duty week established July 1 for permanent personnel. [24-24-24, or 2.5/3.5]
Duty week for seasonal personnel remains 5 day/108 hours [24-24-24-24-12]
1985 - FFI Duty week = 4 day / 76 with 5 hr sleep time deduction
Permanent personnel = 3 day / 72 hours
Overtime rate between 56 -72 hours/week paid on “half time” calculation
Overtime rate after 72 hours paid on “time-and-a-half” calculation. CTO eliminated.
2003 - First step of perm classes phased in OT pay for “1.5 time” after 56 hrs (67 hr clock)
2004 - Second step of perm classes phased in OT pay: “1.25 time” after 56 hrs (62 hr clock)
2005 - Third step of perm classes phased in OT pay: “.75 time” after 56 hrs (56 hr clock)
2006 - 3 day / 72 hours Duty week for Firefighter-I class effective June 30th.
Permanent personnel remain on 3 day / 72 hours
Overtime for fire control paid on true time-and-a-half clock after 56 hrs worked
2024 - 66 hour work week for fire control personnel, eff: Nov 1

6 Likes

1974 FFI 60 hour duty week 5 Twelves, Paid one FF OT at night to make a 2 person engine.

4 Likes

TA is up on Calhr website

1 Like

Once again the union got beaten to the punch. What’s it been a week now

The file is too large to post here’s the link

1 Like

How’d they get beaten to the punch? Union put out the summary a week ago. Dont be “that guy”

4 Likes

If they did, I haven’t seen it, they put out the bullet points, yes. But this document explains how it is all going to work

First impressions: shift platoons still seems wonky, but pay raise to offset the loss of edwc seems legit. I’m curious if the language on the one time salery increase is to avoid other barging units reopener clausesm

1 Like

Bro cmon… beat to the punch…? Why do you think it was posted tonight?

4 Likes

Thev have had the details finalized for a week now. It doesn’t take that long to make a power point. Like it or not we are kinda against a time crunch. Mou vacation biding starts in 50 days. I’m sure theres going to be a few people that are going to want to know there shift for next year. There are a lot of things that need to be figured out for that to happen. So the sooner you can get the info out, the sooner the membership can make an informed decision the better

And props to the barging team, the way in which they’ve negeoatated the no loss in compensation is complex to say the least :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Well said @That_guy . Definitely coming to crunch time for MOU bidding.

3 Likes

Well I finally had time to sit and read every page. 1 glaring section that’s gone and not even lined through is 11.1.7. The Improving affordability and Access to Healthcare. (260 dollar healthcare stipend). The union claimed that it was something bargained for and could only be removed through bargaining. Curious what the status of the “Dills Act” complaint is. Or the status of bargaining for the 260. Since it’s completely removed it would appear it’s gone forever.

Also the new Coben Benefits for 2025 haven’t been provided. But we do know that there will be a 10 percent increase in healthcare costs. That could be another possible loss in compensation.

I’m cautiously optimistic about the changes in our pay going to the 66. But I would like to see the break down with actual numbers.

2 Likes

I hate that I saw this coming.

Summary:

1 Like

The formula is given to you salary (no hazmat education ect)/53 x1.5 X6
Add that number to your salary and that’s the new salary. Then take your new rate/4.33/53 X1.5 X52(hours)=edwc

2 Likes

$50 a day to work out of class as a medic…. Holy smokes that’s a lot!

1 Like

That’s how I read it too…The summary seems to leave off the important part #2 & #3

Where in there does it say a Training Bureau will not be on a 66 hour work week? Or that a fuels crew will not be on a 66 hour work week? Or that Prevention staff will not be on a 66 hour work week?

1 Like