AB 1254 (CalFire Pay)

Can’t find discussions anywhere on the internet pertaining to AB1254. What are everyone’s thoughts? Looks like it is moving along with quite a bit of support…

I would like to see the LAO report which I don’t think has happened. My issues are:

1. This is not a clean pay parity bill, it just says that within 15% of the average of a lot of different agencies.
  2. None of the surveyed agencies are on a 72 hour shift, how does that work out?
  3. How were these agencies selected? City of San Bernardino is contracted to the County.
2 Likes

My first thought is to see if we can make this thread longer than the Wildland firefighter Entry level Pay. :beers:

6 Likes

Also, in all seriousness, IF someone well informed on the bill, could first explain Its purpose and takeaways. It would do us the solid of explaining it on this widely viewed forum.
Unfortunately, my discussions at the dinner table of the bill, have varied greatly, house to house. Googling the Bill provides government verbiage, some people are really good at translating to others less versed.

3 Likes

AB 1254 TEXT

Here is the text to the bill and you can navigate it’s history etc.

5 Likes

No chance. Ha. But we will enjoy the challenge.

We hope this works out well for our CAL FIRE partners. Solid organization IMHO.

MHB

6 Likes

I’ve heard the committee the bill went to is the place bills go to die. May be bad info, may not be. Just wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts and see if anyone had additional info because it seems there are many blurry areas of this and not much info out.

2 Likes

Anyone know why L2881 has been silent on this? Seems weird to me they haven’t been out beating the drum for it. I don’t see it happening, the state has tried for years to take CHP’s away. I can’t see them setting the precedence and letting the genie out of the bottle again

4 Likes

Here’s a thought…Get some paid Professional Negotiators like CHP. Some old story but a different group of people trying to push this thru.

3 Likes

Uneducated thoughts. Ab1254 can go silent but not vanish until 2024… you have to do the legwork to understand bills and how they die.

Let’s just say 2024 is a Presi -elect year. Also assume that Gavin goes public on running in 2024.
Said contender needs the iaff vote and what if the pressure was on to get the iaff vote through support of CPF, OR 2881.,… carry the 2, divide by 4, wiggle your nose and rub a bottle…

Makes sense to let it sit idle til 2024 then stand it up on all sides. I’m ok if y’all think it’s abstract . And I have never been good at math😇

5 Likes

We do have attorneys on the team, also CHP doesn’t bargain for wages only working conditions. Wages are off of an existing pay parity for them. L2881 did a podcast with CHP union, its worth looking up.

3 Likes

You think Cal Fires working conditions are good(72hour week).Working 30 days in a row etc. Salaries a freaking joke for the work week and the responsibility put on a company officer is outrageous.

2 Likes

Not sure how you got all of that from my comment. Here is that link btw if your interested.

3 Likes

I don’t see this happening for 4-5 years. With the state running a 32 Billion budget short fall and a projected deficit for next 2-3 years. I am surprised that Newscum hasn’t asked for 5% pay cuts.

3 Likes

To add to your math problem
Add the date 7/1/2024 right at the end of Primary season and just before the DNC convention and carry the 2. Finally, divide by 11/1/24 which happens to be 4 days before 11/5/2024 and said Governor is already on record supporting the 66hr work week which still hasn’t been disclosed like it was supposed to be disclosed by 7/1/23 for the legislature to assess the fiscal impact for the 2024/2025 budget year. There are things going on behind the scenes that NOBODY knows or understands. All the while POTUS continues to sink in the polls like the RMS Titanic only making said Governor salivate even more.

Oh let’s not forget there are 30 days till AAV season starts and NOBODY knows what their schedule, or working conditions will look like after 10/31/24. Yet have to bid AAV blindly.

8 Likes

Yes, I’ve ask local and district leadership what we submitted to the Dept of finance on July 1and no one has a clue??? This is the lack of transparency that frustrated alot of the membership during this last negotiation. Maybe/hopefully Edwards will address these issues when they reschedule the town hall meeting.

4 Likes

This bill was held under submission in committee on 9-01-2023. It did not pass out of committee. Not sure what that means long term, but probably no action in the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Why is the union not doing more to put this out in the open?

1 Like