Air Tanker Use

AA504 a CalFire Beech Super King Air today (7-23) is operating out of Columbia, is this a new addition to the fleet?
I heard some AA traffic today out of Fresno welcoming a new plane to its inaugural flight of which I did not catch the numbers. Not sure if it’s related. But, something went on line today.

7-27: Thanks for the replies below and added to my knowledge base.

2 Likes

I believe they use that, they have 2, as a training platform for AA and ATGS. The trainee sits up front with the pilot and they trainer can sit right behind the trainee and teach.

2 Likes

AA504

CAL FIRE uses Air Attack 504 as a trainee platform to train new ATGS students. It has been in the fleet for a while now. The other King Air was transitioned into an Intel platform. Additionally, CF contracts two other aircraft during the season to train new ATGS students (AA2CG, AA112)

10 Likes

Looks like a Greek CL-215 clipped a tree earlier today and didn’t make a recovery.

6 Likes

Does anyone know why the Bonny AA has been asking for a VLAT for the last 3 hours and can not get an answer as to whether or not one is available?

3 Likes

I believe there are not enough of the VLATs to fulfill all requests. There are quite a few large fires in Arizona that may have needs as well.

3 Likes

T914 inbound from AZA.
All other VLATS still.on station at their assigned bases

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity will 914 go to San Bernardino first so they don’t use AZ mud on a CA fire?

3 Likes

They’ll go straight to the fire loaded
They’re over the fire dropping now

5 Likes

T-910 O/S @ Phoenix
T-911 @ Helena
T-912 @ Medford

3 Likes
6 Likes

Waterbomber.app doesn’t include all EU and CWN aircraft but even at sundown in somewhat hazy weather, its busy.

4 Likes

Juan was live from Grass Valley great “behind the scenes” video of how the Airshows are played out on the ground.

5 Likes

Is Cresent city airport a VLAT capable airstrip and is it a Reload base? I noticed that T910 referenced CEC as it’s destination?

1 Like

No. There are only 3 or 4 VLAT capable bases in California. . Crescent City is not one of them

2 Likes

Medford is nearest reload for vlats. Rhonerville and Montague( cwn-ish) and Redding are the closest for the rest of the gang.

3 Likes

Perhaps they were using it as a waypoint for the sake of navigation, just to get them in the area. I’ve noticed the S-2’s doing that occasionally

2 Likes

I have no knowledge of the current operations, but it might be their check in point that the incident has pre identified to them. Pretty common practice to have checks on large fires, to help with separation, spacing and timing, for aircraft movement

2 Likes

And truth… From large fires in years past… Not considering IFR… this has to be some of the “chewiest” crummy air.

2 Likes

Copy that. Thx. I only knew of MFR, MCC, SBD & SMX as the VLAT tanker bases for California area fires

2 Likes