Air Tanker Use

Last I heard, the entry point into the airspace is called the IP, for “Initial Point”, yes, as part of controlling the airspace and flow in and out of it.

3 Likes

You are right, that was the word I was looking for last night but couldn’t come up with in my head.

2 Likes

During aerial operations in these wildfire conditions, the ATGS will initiate the IP or have one setup by the Airtanker Base Manager for that incident.

3 Likes

Great point. AND look at how inefficient out state and federal government are at managing and wasting taxpayer’s money.

One more point. Coulson designed and built he latest version roll-on for the MAFFS and one USFS version which Cal Fire is using today at MCC (132) The new Coulson version is FAR SUPERIOR to the older version used on previous MAFF tankers.

4 Likes

Coulson has a tank for the C-130, but to my knowledge they MAFFs 2 was built by a separate company.
Coulson is using their tank design on tanker 132, but it requires modifications to the aircraft. It can theoretically be removed and installed fairly easily, but you can not take a standard c-130 and just roll it in like you can with MAFFs.

2 very different products, but Calfire will end up with the Coulson tank I do believe and all the belly modifications that requires. The MAFFS tanks belong to the USFS and are for surge needs that outstrip the commercial supply.

7 Likes

See the link below. It is from Coulson and explains their RADS technology.

4 Likes

National Aviation Resource daily list has eight LAT air-tankers, four CL-415 and one VLAT in Texas and also three LAT and one VLAT in Louisiana.

7 Likes

The fact that they’re stashing 4 SEATs and a C-130 here in Chester with nothing to do is definitely the sign of a slow year. 132 took a quick run back up to Oregon the day after they got here to make a drop, went up for a maintenance flight, and that’s it. The SEATs have been farmed out a bit, and the Air Attack even got sent out for a couple of weeks to another state.

But there’s a lot of dry, warm weather ahead, so who knows.

6 Likes

When you want it done in aviation technology Coulson is the vendor to call.

2 Likes

T210 (Coulson’s T138) NSW tanker back home at RAAF base Richmond for overhaul and servicing to be ready for Australia’s summer season. Thank you much!

Check out playback of flight CUL138 on Flightradar24. https://fr24.com/data/flights/cul138#31eb3eb4

3 Likes

T-910 Tree strike in Oregon
Heard that T-910 had a incident in Oregon Thursday involving a tree strike.

Anyone have more information on this incident?

1 Like

Same crew as before ?

1 Like

Thank goodness everyone OK, same crew or not time to be those LOTTO tickets.

5 Likes

Might have been this drop.

4 Likes

Bummer when watching on IG the words/info covers the bottom of the video. Looks damn close to me.

3 Likes

Twitter video.
https://x.com/HotshotWake/status/1705692868428402958?s=20

4 Likes

Here is a different link to a flight history of this:

N612AX is 910.

3 Likes

Wow! That was a near miss. Final was lower than the lead, retardant had a lot of momentum when it hit the ground. Scary!

2 Likes

2023-09-23T07:00:00Z

Tanker 131 practicing near my house tonight, nice turns in that huge plane!

2 Likes