Alaska COMT question

Having never been to Alaska, are COMTs restricted on weight? My tool kit probably weighs 15 lbs or more. Are COMTs even needed much in Alaska?
Thanks,
Onelick

1 Like

Just saw your post so you may already be in AK. A COMT assignment to AK is like any other assignment as far as the job goes. Your not going up to rebuild equipment. Design, install, maintain system; retrieve, inventory and return equipment. Now the experience outside the job can be different.AK Info I have been up there 3 times. Twice in suppression, once as a COMT. All good experiences.

Thanks for the reply. I’m more worried about the weight restrictions. Since I’m not on crew anymore, my tools have made my weight go up to 2 50 lb bags. Are there any special weight restrictions just for alaska?
Thanks,
Onelick

Does your Resource Order list the equipment you need to take? If not you may want your dispatch to call the requesting incident if they will approve you to bring all of your tools. With that on the resource order you should be good to go. Last year I got requested as a PIO to be part of a Prevention Team. I made a call to the Forest ECC to check on what I could bring and was told to bring everything including line gear if qualified. So I did with a $300 baggage fee each way. I had no problem at getting reimbursed. Document, document, document.

1 Like