AlertWildfire Webcam - News and Discussion

Good morning…
Sorry, I only used your post as an impetus to write my post. Your post spoke from experience and I didn’t mean to take away from that personal observation.

5 Likes

I would just like to say that I appreciate the respect and civility demonstrated in this recent exchange. It is not something that is commonly seen online these days. Props to all involved!

I hope to see more of this type of respectful communication between members of our community in the future.

20 Likes

maybe you guys will find these two articles interesting. they contain some info regarding the system, the second link at the very bottom has some info about the number of cameras being increased.

1 Like

Everyone please welcome Lebec Oaks (Lebec, CA) to the party

8 Likes

I have been using the lat/long tool (crosshairs icon) tool a lot to get rough fire locations.
If two cameras are both centered on a fire, turn on the ‘camera target’ lines for each, and then you can use the crosshairs icon ('map location>pick location) and click right next to where the lines cross (don’t click on the line or it will zoom you to the camera)…
Once you have the lat/long in the popup box, e.g. Lat 39.486 Lon -121.827, you can edit it to be just numbers separated by a comma, like 39.486, -121.827, and paste these into the search bar in Google Maps. Once you have the location in Google Maps, you can click on the ‘Share’ icon on the left of Google Maps to get a URL for that map.
Another cool feature in Google Maps is if you turn on the satellite view, you can hold down control (command on a mac) to drag the mouse and see the map in 3d.

22 Likes

Thats pretty old school! :smiley::+1::+1:

2 Likes

Oh, to have had today’s tech back in the day.

Though who can’t apply those mad Osborn Fire Finder skills in everyday life!

11 Likes

That exact graphic was in my masters thesis i turned friday night! Such an amazing piece of history.

11 Likes

The old boys and girls did well with what they had. continue on aj

3 Likes

Well i love me some technology but enjoy pulling out my silva ranger now and again and a topo map for fun. When i get the paper back from the professor i will post it on here for some crtitique.

8 Likes

I can still recall the joy of a smooth spinning sight ring after the start of season tune-up.

It’s the simple things sometimes…

5 Likes

Osborne was the original “remote sensing” tool.

5 Likes

AJ, H2O… we’ve got two at the CDF Museum that could use a little tune up and maintenance if you’re interested… when you’re ready.

4 Likes

Would love to take my son and nephew over this winter and put in a little elbow grease. They need some community service hours.

2 Likes

Channel 4 news copter trying to report this new smoke… Nuevo?

1 Like

I wonder if they will pull firefighters into some of the maintenance of the new cameras and infrastructure? Winterizing lookouts on the Eagle Lake District of the Lassen NF was one of the highlights of working for the USFS as a youngster.

2 Likes

We welcome all offers of assistance!

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: CA-RRU-Juniper

great foresight. maybe include some older folks to assist???

1 Like

That’d be great. One of my biggest fears with the Covid is that it will make it hard for old-timers and youngsters to have road time together. So many of us learned this business in the passenger seat of a pickup truck.

6 Likes