Are you legal to drive it?

That’s interesting, I’ve had multiple folks from DMV and a Motor Carrier Safety Officer tell me it applies no matter what you’re driving. But that was at least 20 years ago, crap I’m old!

3 Likes

First paragraph. Condition of employment since 2014?. Until the recent TD, you were already required to update your FF endorsement to an appropriate CDL upon renewal. It was accepted as a temporary term of employment. I’m not sure it’s ever been enforced / regulated.

2 Likes

Ya, it’s just a fun thing to scare people with I guess. Definitely not true. But that also doesn’t mean that a personal pickup >10000 wouldn’t make an officer try. :wink:

1 Like

I got a Class B on paid time from the CCC. There wasn’t, really, a ‘program’. I drove a bus around with my supervisor, an hour before quitting time for a week and studied the book whenever I had a minute. It seemed totally logical to me to get taught on the vehicle of the agency I was working for. I seem to recall that they paid the whole cost, except for my plastic card ID reissue. Seems like a weird thing to get hung up on when your talking about the length and intensity of training you’ve been through to get pre-requisites for a perm FF job.

1 Like

You folks are hitting most of the parts, I will add the state used to do the pre test and driving test until someone cheated. Also the state is not the only one to be concerned about, the feds and countys are also involved. A couple of DUIs are also a huge deal, my neighbor got a DUI driving a pickup three years ago, lost his CDL for a year and cost $10,000. If I were still working, I would not be be in a vehicle without a fully licensed operator

3 Likes

WentThe Forest Service has had Heavy Equipment operators (HFEO) without a CDL, but a fully licensed driver operated the transport. The CDL licensed driver also instructed water tender candidates on how to drive the CDL required vehicles . All on the San Bernardino NF. When the Forests had an engineering division, they had CDL licensed operators for required vehicles. With the closure of that division years ago, there went the licensed transport drivers until many years later when they started adding water tenders and dozer transports for FIRE. When stake beds, engines and water tenders went over 26,000 lbs., then they started thr CDL process.

1 Like

Another issue that agencies should be concerned with, is pulling a trailer with a GVWR of 10,001 lbs.or more REQUIRES a Class A license. The trailer does not have to be loaded for the requirement, only legally rated to carry that load. Hose trailers and other accessory trailers many times are over the weight with only a class c licensed firefighter operating. Think about it. A trailer improperly loaded is far more dangerous that a single vehicle.

4 Likes

Just an fyi… a pickup truck is classified as a commercial vehicle!

You can also get a non CDL for a pickup

2 Likes

Non commercial

2 Likes

You have to have a shell permanently attached to your pickup truck, put in a request for the standard license plate, go to the DMV for certification. My friend tried to do that, because of the dui issue, if you take it off and don’t have your commercial license it’s a significant fine.

2 Likes

Not to mention, if you have a commercial driver’s license, you can’t go to school for minor infractions and get it wiped from your record.

1 Like

Your right, a camper shell or one of those top things but you can also go bare as long as nothing is showing above the top of the bed

1 Like

:+1:t3:, but a bare pickup doesn’t require a CDL to drive. If you’re employed by the owner of the pickup, or it’s being used to provide income.
Its finely written, been tried, again by a few associates of mine.
Twice in the last 4 years. In California Court. Not arguing. Doesn’t mean they can’t get a DUI. But the .04 fell apart in court. Fortunately for my associates. Should have just wrote it as a normal .08 BAC.
Just have experience as a chauffeur. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Does anyone know if I can upgrade my CDL? I have been trying to find out online but it’s been difficult.

I just wanna add hazmat and passenger to it.

I have a general class b CDL and tank/air brakes

Unless it’s been changed AB 1888 allows trafffic school for minor violations for CDLs. Provided

• you have a valid California driver’s license
• you were driving a noncommercial vehicle at the time that you were ticketed (Key point!)
• your ticket is for a moving violation

1 Like

Go to DMV, take those two tests and pass you’re golden. If you want to move to a Class A, you’ll have to take a new driving test and probably school.

2 Likes

You can take the needed added endorsements tests during your DL renewal period (one year) without having to retake any test. From personal experience

1 Like

and let us not forget home land security

2 Likes

CalFire has just released a Temporary Directive concerning drivers licenses. Everyone should get familiar with the requirements before you get behind the wheel.

If anyone is worried about BAC levels while driving personally owned vehicles, then maybe you shouldn’t be a professional driver.

3 Likes