Are you legal to drive it?

CalFire has just released a Temporary Directive concerning drivers licenses. Everyone should get familiar with the requirements before you get behind the wheel.

2 Likes

“Intent” isn’t specific yes or no. So yes, you can drive a transport without a Class A. Per this TD.
But I also wonder why the department didn’t regulate and mirror the CVC guidelines of a “Non Commercial Fire Fighter Endorsement” Class A, B or C in regards to the classification of vehicle your driving. It’s written as a Class C FF Endorsement can drive anything. Maybe they’ll revise it. And just say you need a Class A.

Do you know if you guys are moving towards more of CDL requirement?

Sorry I don’t have access to the Cal Fire information. Current Federal Engineer trying to get a foot in the door.

1 Like

IMHO, I would say they are moving away from
It.

2 Likes

Copy that. Darn I was hoping my CDL and experience was going to help me out. Applied to all the units.

2 Likes

I’m sure it will.

It’s an ever-changing department and it ever changing environment. Keep in mind these things could change day to day. I believe there’s been long negotiations between DOT CHP and REALITY…

2 Likes

That is California’s choice, but do not cross the state line because then you will be driving out of class. After the first fatality accident involving someone driving a Class A or B license vehicle the liability will be huge for whoever approved that policy. And policy isn’t law.

4 Likes

Agree, for many reasons . Maybe it’ll be revised

1 Like

CAL-TRANS, CHP, & DMV are all part ot transportation dept & answer to Secretary of Transportation in California.

DMV has made the rules based of Laws passed by state legislative bodies in Sacramento. As stated, can’t drive out of state with some of these licenses and not all 50 states have reciprocity with each other. Which only makes things even more complicated.

Put another way, pot is still illegal at the federal level, yet legal in over 25 states at state level.

I agree this stands up till the rubber meets the road and a accident occurs. Then the attorneys get a hold of it. Then who knows what happens.

If I didn’t have a full Class A, with all endorsements but Passenger & Haz-Mat. I would have a copy of the TD stored in multiple locations, including a fire proof safe.

4 Likes

The State will definitely support and stand behind you, ,until the lights of the train heading toward you become visible.
Then watch how quick they change tracks.

3 Likes

Why don’t you guys just go and get a commercial drivers license on your own? It would save a lot of second guessing. My agency thought about doing the exemption years and years ago, but it didn’t stick for some of the reasons mentioned.

Also, a linemen friend of mine had a CA exemption and was driving a class A vehicle in SF, sideswiped a car and his agency made him pay out of pocket.

2 Likes

Tell the Department that. The employees are given the options. What’s the easiest way to get a job, especially now with CDL testing requirements.

2 Likes

Nowadays you have to sit x number of hours in a classroom to get a license. So it got a lot harder for those who have a job already.

1 Like

Truck driving schools now cost over $5000 and have a 90-120 day waiting period for enrollment. With the federal change to the required 16hr of “driver training” with a licensed facility/instructor. Demand has remained the same, while supply has been cut in half.

I still encourage EVERYONE that wants this as a career to get a full Commercial CDL Class B at a minimum.

The reality is, you won’t promote and get a fulltime job(FAE 1st level permanent job) without the proper license in place.

Job offers are not going to the unlicensed.

5 Likes

All the state has to do is get a few of their trainers certified to teach the new drivers. That way they teach the driver training in house. From there they have the equipment and other resources necessary. Once that’s done, the new boots go to DMV for their license.

I suspect it’s all about the money. The State will have to pay for biannual physicals and the time off to do it. Generally speaking, State Class A/B drivers get extra money monthly to maintain their license.

I guarantee that if someone is driving a transport on a Class C license and gets into a wreck, the victim will sue and they will win. The same thing goes for driving on a Class C license for engines weighing over 26,000# as well as the FF exemption on driving hours. The State always waits until the litigation hits before fixing what’s broken.

I agree with you in relation to in-house CDL exams. It’s something that was offered in the past and could be brought back. I believe some units are looking into it as well.

But in the big picture, it’s probably not about cost of CDL physicals. That’s been provided coinciding a RPP program for years.

I believe it’s due to Demographics and filling Driver operator roles. Imagine if the department said everyone tomorrow needs to have a CDL A or B. You would have a line out the door at USA truck drivers in school and a whole lot of leave being burnt. Seems saturated with Class C FF stemming from temporarily accepting it a Decade ago.
But, if you are going to follow the CA law, then yes. If it’s got a light bar, you can drive it.
On a personal note, I’m sure we all know plenty of great heavy equipment operators that do not have a Class A. Also, what if you don’t like taking physicals every 2 years, This could be a game changer for them.
State Fire Marshal Driver/operator course exam is IMHO A LOT easier to obtain a license than Truck driving school. But the course should include all equipment that the student would operate. Probably not just a SA engine with an automatic and exhaust brake. Evoc driving thru cones doesn’t simulate combinations and mountainous driving.
Cheers.

2 Likes

I agree with much of what you say but after being in state service for 30 years, it’s all about the money. And you’re right, it can’t be a blanket mandate because of logistics. A commercial Class A or B can however become a condition of employment for those drivers classes with training provided through In Service Training upon acceptance of the position and throughout the year, especially during the slower winter months, for those already in a drivers position.

The State law stating if it has a light bar you can drive it is a foolish policy that will bite back one day when a clearly unqualified person gets into a wreck because of the lack of proper training.

As far as heavy equipment operators without a Class A, it goes without saying that’s a bad idea. Anyone barreling down the road in a rolling missile weighing 40-80,000 lbs should be held to the same standard as all other commercial Class drivers. When the privates show up, they are mandated to have the appropriate class license or they are parked so there is clearly a double standard when it comes to qualifications.

Truck driving school is not difficult and IIRC, is only 15 hrs of training that can be done in house. The actual test at DMV is detailed but again, not that difficult. CDL physicals are a walk in the park for anyone healthy. If someone isn’t willing to maintain their commercial license, then they can promote into a non-commercial position.

The State is trying to take the easy way (cheap) out, once again, rather than develop a workable program to develop better training for drivers.

7 Likes

Apologies I’m not from Cal Fire.

If you have commercial drivers they must be enrolled in a Pull Program for random drug testing, so the expense continues past the point of initial licensure and biannual physicals.

For the employee with a CDL, they get a DUI at .04 no matter what they’re driving, on or off duty.

For all that, there’s no reason why a State agency can’t develop their own training program including driver testing: I believe CalTrans does it.

4 Likes

Actually not true, must be in a commercial vehicle to get a DUI at .04. The waters been tested by a few associates of mine.

3 Likes