Bishop NV-ELD Mid-air Collision July 2020

Bad news today. There was a mid-air involving 2 SEAT’s around 1230 on the Bishop fire. 2 fatalities. A T-2 team is being mobilized:

RIP, very sad news indeed. :cry:

1 Like

7/31: evening update is 10.4K acres, 20%. 5% humidity and record breaking temps. All line constructed yesterday on east was lost overnight. Type 2 team inbriefed and will be taking over fire 8/1 at 0600 (Team 7 - Knudsen)

1 Like

Team 7? No Team 7 in Region 5, must be a Great Basin Team?

yes, GB team (pretty sure ownership is BLM on this fire, not FS)

My bad, I was thinking Bishop, CA. and didn’t look at the NV-ELD header

1 Like

Thoughts and prayers to the families, friends and co-workers. I lost a dear friend in a mid-air years ago.

Heads up this references an almost year-old incident.

My breath stopped seeing this topic hit the top…

1 Like

Oops, guess I jumped the gun, seeing it at the top of the list. better check. Still sad.

The one you mention years ago Logs, was that out of Ramona?

As I recall it was Hemet/Ryan. In bound between a lead and a tanker working the Butterfield fire.

The Butterfield incident happened at Ramona ATB, 1995

Schmidt? Or Smitty as they called him? Met him a few times. Super good person.

Michael Ray Smith “Smitty”. We first worked together in 1972 at Marana Air Park outside of Tucson. Then ended up in Kernville in 79-94 together then he got the lead job and moved to Hesperia. He was a local flight instructor and long time helitack foreman at the Kernville Helitack base. A wonderful man and good friend.

1 Like

The few times we spoke, one could immediately tell this man is legit.

I remember that day well.

Sorry for your loss and to rehash the memories. Like they say, gone but never forgotten.

1 Like

Yup, Thanks. Time to let this thread fade away.

1 Like