BK P150/M150

I’m hearing some unsubstantiated rumors that CalFire will not be supporting the newer BK P150’s for cloning at incidents. I heard the same rumor about the BK Legacy radios a few years back, when we switched to the P150, and that has not come to pass. Anything to these rumors or just folks killing time during a somewhat $[()w fire season?

Pure Rumor!

2 Likes

I am on the Firescope Communications Working Group. From CalFIRE they will continue to support the Legacy radios. Kinda funny…they better support the new BKR5000’s, CalFIRE is ordering over 800 of them very soon.

4 Likes

Also, if anyone was wanting to order the P150 radios, all off the places I was checking for new radios to replace our legacy BK’s, they were out of stock until at least January and was basically told that they were obsolete now with the new BKR5000 coming on the scene.

1 Like

Speaking of P150’s. I can’t believe how easy they break. Talkaround dial jamming, keys not working, knobs breaking off and button not keying. I keep a legacy Brick in my OOC bag. What flimsy radios for the price.

5 Likes

Agreed, overall a disappointing radio. The brick was just about perfect, always worked, rarely had issues, batteries last forever. Functions are much more user friendly to boot.

4 Likes

The amount of AA’s the 150’s eat up is absolutely crazy especially if you are scanning.

5 Likes

The KNG SERIES, (150, 400, 700) are not available. Some Dealers may have limited stock of these but not many. They are being replaced by the BKR5000 (VHF) and BKR9000 (ALL BAND). Only Authorized and Certified Dealers ( we had to take a 6 hour class and pass a test) in order to be able to sell the BKR9000. Orders are slowly coming in but they could take up to 120 days or more to arrive.

Crazy that just a couple years ago the 150’s were the latest and greatest and now its the 5000’s. Guess we shoulda held out a few more years.

1 Like

It keeps the economy going, my old boss used to say. He thought this sort of thing was dumb also. I have still seen old brick HTs on people on the incident briefings.

6 Likes