CA-AEU-Country??

#CountryFire
@CALFIREAEU
#ElDoradoCounry
Sounds and looks like 1 tanker left orbiting… They’re talking about releasing it on the scanner
#CA #CAWILDFIRES #CALIFORNIAFIRES #FireSeason2019 https://t.co/RQqZghT3IH

This photo was taken off of Twitter and the local Sacramento News stations are reporting it so it shouldn’t be confidential at this point.

This should be a glaring reminder to remember LCES and “Know what your fire is doing at all times.”

There will certainly be more information about this but let’s not get complacent because it’s been a slow year

IMG_8464.jpeg

Can you repost the picture? I did not upload.

2 Likes

It was probably this? https://twitter.com/largesteven/status/1169035338527850496?s=21

3 Likes

That is it. TY. iPhone did not want to post it correctly

Let’s not forget that this incident started as a structure fire into the vegetation. Although I do not know, it is possible that Engine was spotted with hose out prior to the vegetation fire starting. So they could have been engaged in structure Op’s and not prepared for a vegetation fire. The injuries happened very early in the fire. My only point is we have none of the details on how this occurred. Hopefully the Blue Sheet will clear all this up soon. At any rate, I hope for speedy recoveries for the injured.

11 Likes

Yes indeed, let the investigators do their job and pray for our firefighters… that picture shouldn’t even be posted

5 Likes

Firefighters sustained minor injuries.

2 Likes

somewhere said: a picture is worth a thousand words. Yes. A followup report will add to the learning procedure.

1 Like

Here’s the other question has the IC approved the release of the posted picture?

2 Likes

It appears that it was posted by the media as Steve Large identifies himself as a CBS 13 reporter. If a member of the media took the photo, IC approval is not required. As a matter of fact, if anybody except a someone assigned to the incident took the photo, IC approval is irrelevant. That said, I would hope that anybody in the fire service would exercise some discretion and not post it.

5 Likes

I will make one more comment regarding this matter because the intent behind behind my choice to reference the photo, that of being aware of our surroundings at all times, has eroded into whether or not it was appropriate.

I stand by what I stated yesterday and the choice to make a comment regarding personnel safety. The facts of the matter are, this photo was not only already on social media but it was a topic of local media coverage last night prior to my post.

I also stand by my criticism of the lack of awareness by the crew of this engine in whatever functions they were performing. The actions of this engine crew place they and those around them in dire circumstances. There are, or should be elements of the photo which should be reinforcement signs for all of when we are on an assignment, whether that is a structure fire with a threat to the vegetation or a wildland fire with no structure threat.

Very thankfully, nobody was seriously injured in this situation. When an engine is overrun, any ability to protect the crew or anyone else is completely and irrevocably removed.

Finally, if anyone wants to discuss this matter one on one, I am more than willing to have a private conversation but in terms of any further discussion publicly, this is my final post on this matter.

12 Likes

:+1: keep your eyes open and be very aware of your surroundings.

2 Likes
1 Like