CA-BEU/SLU-Roberts ???

Range 39 at Camp Roberts
Monterey County, CA

(edited) C234 Intermediate Fire Training is going on at Camp Roberts. A vegetation fire was reported on May 17th for the Range 39 Impact Area at Camp Roberts. The fire had grown to approx 400 acres by the evening. WD reported the fire was in patrol status. Two days later, engines were recalled to the fire, which had grown to 1000 acres.

Yesterday, the fire was reported at 7,030 acres.

If you have an agency code please post it. Thank you.

3 Likes

A touch of observation: DoD fire resources are still in the process of more fully integrating institutional resources with the NWCG/NIFC system, so I wouldn’t assume that secrecy would be the major concern, but that there are some reporting chain issues still being worked out. My assumption has been that any and all military resources, like TF Rattlesnake, TF Blaze, base and camp FDs, ANG, etc., ultimately chain through the nearest appropriate NorthOps or SouthOps GACC, but I might be wrong about that. Would be helpful to get some clarity there.

2 Likes

It’s the fuels reduction in the firing range impact areas. They do it every year. Smoky for a few days then done. It protects the troops that will cycle through there during the annual training cycles. They spend weeks cleaning up the fire breaks that surround the entire installation, then do the firing operation. Usually they host live fire training in the non impact zone training areas. Normally Cal Fire SLU, BEU and LG agencies.

3 Likes

Large acreages are burned there every year to allow for military live fire activity during summer months. Near Hwy 101, you can see how thin the fuel is due to burning year after year.

I am pretty sure that these are run out of BEU, although a small amount of the land is in SLU. Both belong to SouthOps.

2 Likes

Cool. I tuned in to Broadcastify and it sounded like BEU voiced up bit on the scanner, as well. Thanks. Back to the grind. :smiley:

Just by way of confirming, this is probably a related event to the training and Rx going on by SLU.

3 Likes

Forecast is up to 80 degrees with a 12 mph wind and 46% humidity, today. I hope they are having a good burn and getting it all squared away. This will probably be the last update.

2 Likes