CA-BTU-Dixie?

I’m checking my flightradar and I see no activity on Grizzly ridge. Is it poor visibly or they just aren’t showing up?

Quincy was clear early this AM and we were hearing rotor wing activity but it quickly got smoked out again…

2 Likes

Oh wow, never mind. One just showed.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. That was really clear viewing the perimeter on google earth

2 Likes

My scanner can’t handle narrow band freqs. Anyone have a radio feed link for the East Zone?

How do you load the daily IAP’s anyway??? I’ve obviously never downloaded one.

2 Likes

https://ftp.wildfire.gov/public/incident_specific_data/calif_n/!CALFIRE/!2021_Incidents/CA-BTU-009205_Dixie/

Thank You for the help Lucifero. :+1:

1 Like

No apologies necessary @pyrogeography. I just wanted to provide some often overlooked details. BTW, I enjoy your postings from The Lookout. Keep it up.
Cheers!

3 Likes

Last nights IR showing a narrow and intense 2-mile run on the north side of Hwy 36 on Fredonyer. Anyone have any confirmation

on this?

Bad IR data, they burned 36 from Fredonyer to Roxie on the south side.

Yeah, that’s what I thought, too. Thanks. It does look like if they were trying to hold the fire on Hamilton Mtn Road on west side of pass, that this didn’t work out. Anyone know if that was the original plan?

Yes that was the plan
But due to a lack of resources over time and weather
Sounds like it didn’t work out

1 Like

Screen shot of Lines in That area.

2 Likes

Air show is hitting Grizzly Ridge hard this morning. Any intel if that spot is trying to take off? Tnk131, Tanker914, MAFFS2,4,5 all there.

GOES is also showing some column development on that side.

3 Likes

When is the north flank going to wake up on Dixie? Been looking into it a little. CalTopo’s perimeter layer is showing some new spot fires on a couple of the mini-volcanoes just outside of Caribou Wilderness. I cruised a bunch of wind-throw timber up along that road in the 90s - those volcanoes create little wind tunnels, and those little spots aren’t in a great place - could squirt out of there and over that dozer line pretty quick if we get back to SW flow.

Have I mentioned lately how awesome CalTopo is? Where can I buy stock?

12 Likes

How are you getting the Dozer line to showup in CalTopo?

8 Likes

This does not sound like good news at all. Of course for Genesee, also bad news for Quincy through Greenhorn:
“Aug 20th 3:15 PM Operational Update
A strong north wind has pushed the Dixie Fire across Genassee Valley Road, according to the Fire Operations Branch Chief for that Branch 25 Firefighters and engines are actively engaged with many spots all across the road and structure protection is underway.” From USFS Plumas on Facebook.

8 Likes

I heard some traffic about some threat to town of Quincy. Any updates? I don’t see much on the cameras.

1 Like

Deep geeking. Send a PM if you want details.

8 Likes