CA-ENF-Caldor (Contained)

Was that taken from the Spur on 88?

Evacuation warnings lifted for the Desolation Wilderness area and Christmas Valley area

4 Likes

Yes it was.

1 Like

221,835 acres and 100% contained.

10 Likes

Father and son arrested today on reckless arson charges each with a $1M bail.

6 Likes

With the “great bodily injury” component, maximum prison time will be 6 years + 3 year enhancement for the FF injury. Maximum jail time 1 year. Possible fine up to $50k but you can’t get blood from a turnip. “Reckless Arson” indicates to me could not prove it was malicious.

7 Likes
12 Likes
3 Likes

Garbage article

4 Likes

Bill’s writing or the 60 minutes piece? Care to elaborate? Not saying I disagree but would be good to counter with some facts or ideas.

3 Likes

The 60 minutes.
However there is some speculation within Bills writing that I don’t find helpful, it highlights how things could have been different if certain projects were finished or if different actions were taken without sound evidence to why they were not.

My problem with this is its to vague and ultimately fireman take the scrutiny when it goes far beyond that. 60 minutes is trash now a days.
I’ll type something up when I have more time to be specific. Just didn’t want to leave you without any answer for my comment.

5 Likes

As a resident in El Dorado County and a firefighter that was on the IA for several days to this incident, I wouldn’t exactly say the article was “garbage”.

Yes, some of the stone throwing should be directed to the very top of federal policy and not at the line level. Hands were definitely tied by policy however, I know all the individuals interviewed and each had valid points.

Both retired officers are very, very well respected in California with over 60 years of experience between them in the fire service.

When I drive through Grizzly Flats, it is very clear those folks need tremendous support from the local, state and federal government. The way they are living up there now is tragic and those folks are really frustrated.

13 Likes

Everybody…I have removed a whole bunch of posts tonight relating to people being critical of spelling. If you disagree with a person’s perception or viewpoint, that’s one thing, and what discussion is all about, but being critical of someone’s spelling does nothing to improve or add to the discussion. Asking for somebody to clarify is one thing but criticizing spelling or being rude, detracts from a meaningful discussion. We are or should be better than that

22 Likes

I initially heard they almost had the fire hooked by morning, and then there was a spot that took off. Was everyone pulled off the incident that night or just some personnel? Does anybody know the justification for pulling those folks off the fire?

1 Like

There was only one or two forest engines that got bedded down that night so they could be available for day shift. Early that morning, I want to say at 2 or 3 everyone was pulled out into safety zones. From time of dispatch to standing on the fires edge it took about 4 hours for us our way in. I think the biggest part in the breakdown of that night was there was almost no coordination of what we were doing. I don’t think any of us knew where the fire actually was. I remember most of the night we were on a part of the fire that was referred as a spot but it was actually the main fire. It was bizarre, I think everyone was so turned around since we were cutting out log roads, and had to be guided in by Camino that was on the phone with the SPI rep. Later that morning we got sent out to the pavement and sent home. There wasn’t much work put in that night since every time there would be an increase of activity, the higher ups would pull us off. CHP H20 was also present trying to give intel which confused me more than it help. I agree with others that this article is actually somewhat accurate. I can guarantee many that are bashing the IA response or this article, weren’t actually apart of it.

11 Likes

Insufficient evidence to take Caldor Fire suspects to trial, judge rules

3 Likes