CA-ENF-Caldor?

Are they getting moisture up at the northeast portion of the fire? I just saw a website saying light drizzle.

1 Like

Probably a pyro cloud and a computer thinks it’s rain.

2 Likes

Thanks, that could be what it is doing? I guess I was just hoping for some kind of break.

1 Like

As a Pollock resident, I’ll say usually we avoid the worst of the winds. But this year has been horrible and you can’t rule out a worst case scenario. This fire sucks.

5 Likes

This inside slider is very unusual for the time of year. It is pretty potent due to the cold air associated and the pressure gradient. As much as I would like to see it not affect the west slope of El Dorado county, I beleive it will impact the fire tonight.

4 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Community Wildfire Initial Attack Q:

I concur and a good sign of the atmosphere being conducive for offshore winds is the stratocumulus banking up on the eastern slopes plus the smoke direction has already shifted to the south

5 Likes

We triaged the whole Ridgeway/Ridgecrest area of Sly Park yesterday and a lot of the Garnet Dr area today and fire was nowhere near. Ended up down in Plum Creek and Hazel Valley Rd and the fire was just backing down to the creekbed before we got relieved.

4 Likes

Thank you so much. Hearing this means a lot. What agency?

Hey Folks just a friendly reminder, we need to keep this train on the tracks.

Initial Attack “IA” threads are ONLY meant for accurate FACTS on fire behavior, weather, evacuation notice and anything that would be considered VITAL information.

The Question/Discussion threads, denoted by question marks after the fire name (CA-LNU-RipperMaGoo???) are meant for ALL OTHER questions that are based on the SPECIFIC FIRE, like where’s the ICP, who can I ask about getting access to feed my livestock in an evacuation zone, what incident management team is coming, what Strike Teams are en route.

Anything that is abstract or doesn’t fit in a category above needs it’s OWN thread or can be taken completely over to a General Discussion thread.

This site is special because of all the content & contributions from all the amazing community members & it’s great to have so much valued intel but PLEASE take an extra second to think about the APPROPRIATE LOCATION for your post before hitting the Reply button.

I thank you all for your time & understanding that we must uphold this framework or the information looses it value.

I sincerely thank you for being a part of our community.

33 Likes

Mt. Danaher Cam showing the fire cresting the ridge…

2 Likes

By the looks all the way around this thing, she looks like shes getting ready to take a South Western walk tonight

6 Likes

I see a lot of concern for the current eastern wind flow and concur, but have more concern with what follows as these appear to be short-lived. I see the next up to a week with SW flows taking this to the E and NE up towards the crest and possibly the Tahoe basin. I want to be wrong, but the conditions and fuels warrant concern in my opinion. Drove the 88 a couple of weeks ago and there is still a lot of wind blow-down trees still on the ground up there. Am I wrong?

1 Like

Not sure about southwest, the precise direction is going to depend on winds and terrain as always. The wind is shifting though. The direction of the column is changing. It’s very obvious on the Armstrong Lookout cams. No way to get an exact or even close bearing from the images, but certainly looks to have reversed from earlier in the fire. The fire intensity also picked up quite a bit since dark.

Edited at 2200: Smoke is changing direction enough in the last half hour or so to largely obscure view of the fire from both the Mt. Danaher and Omo Ranch cams.

1 Like

SW as a general direction per wind forecasting for several days of PM winds. Topography will funnel them locally, but there are a lot of aligned drainages to carry it to the E and NE I think. Reading the tea leaves.

2 Likes

Leek Springs, Big Hill and Saddle Mtn cameras time lapse showing strong pushes to the west. Stay safe ground pounders!

1 Like

Hell Hole RAWS north of the area is showing conditions go down hill

To the east of the fire Kirkwood, at 9,000’ conditions are really bad. It will be interesting to see how far these winds travel down.

I’ve been watching the Spring Valley RAWS. Winds have been holding steady (2G4 or so) for the last hour, but RH just took a dive from 64 to 56 in a 10 minute period. EDIT: Now down to 41% another 10 minutes later and wind ticked up just a bit.

3 Likes

Good to see the winds didn’t surface over the fire area. It dried out, but hopefully night shift had a relatively easy night.

5 Likes

Can anyone post a recent IR image or current map of what fire did overnight?