CA-KNF-Shelly ???

4 Likes

Been doing some reading on the management of the timberlands the Shelly Fire is pushing east into. They’re part of an 18,000 acre forest carbon offset project. I wrote a little about what I learned on Twitter, here: x.com
Also, the thread, without graphics, is here:
Thread by @wildland_zko on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App

10 Likes

Interesting reading, Zeke, I live adjacent to EcoTrust land and had no idea. On a positive note, a large shaded fuel break project has been underway for about 5 years on the west side of Scott Valley, much of which has taken place on Ecotrust lands. The portion along North Kidder Creek Road, where this fire may ultimately run into the urban interface, was completed last winter. At least there’s a good place to make a stand should the fire get that far east.

7 Likes

RFW from 1400 to 2000 this afternoon. RH only recovered to about 15% overnight, predicted to be 5-10% this afternoon, temps around 100. Could be an interesting day.

5 Likes

Really curious about this fire. I’ve never been on the KNF. Are they talking about a big box for this incident? Also is this a wilderness fire ?

1 Like

Check out the IR from last night. Tried to paste it in, file size was too big. Certainly threw out some spots last night. I’m not sure about that little heat signature way off to the east. 790 acres.

5 Likes

Looking like this afternoon could be an ‘Extreme Fire Behavior’ kind of day!
Weather for Greenview, at the base of slope below yesterday’s flare-up.

6 Likes

Sheesh. And not letting up.

1 Like

Yes big box like almost every fire on the KNF. no way to safely go direct with the terrain and snag hazard.

3 Likes

2 types of country on the KNF. the up and the down. if you dont like 1, your not gonna like the other,

23 Likes

Ridges, roads and rivers

6 Likes

I just did a rambling livestream on what I think Shelly Fire will do, carbon scams, and upcoming wx. https://www.youtube.com/live/szD6M2sQpwY?si=_6oUx0SeiE8HFXod

12 Likes

They got the DC-10 and the Australia Fire plane dropping on this fire. They are using our Medford Tanker Base

5 Likes

I may be wrong but I think the Australian tanker is currently on a Cal Fire contract.

5 Likes

KNF also prone to many nighttime inversions, which limits aerial resources as fires get larger on steep slopes.

5 Likes

New Orders this after noon (4) EST3, (2) DZS1, (6) CST1 with misc overhead

3 Likes

Here we go again…

5 Likes

Acreage update to 1,193 .

4 Likes

Air Attack just reported the fire is established in the Kidder Creek drainage. He is also reporting the column is bending over worried and about ember cast causing problems.

4 Likes

Fire has eaten through the retardant lines on the north and is starting to spot. Radio traffic indicates the fire has made it over the ridgeline above Babs Fork and is established but hasn’t reached the bottom of the drainage yet. Additionally the fire will likely become established in the Kidder Creek drainage soon.

3 Likes