CA-KRN/SQF-????

Lake Isabella area

3 Likes

A lot of precipitation in Isabella too

2 Likes

RP stated lightning struck high voltage lines. Nothing showing on cameras.

4 Likes

CHP CAD has it near the Caliente Post Office. Sounds like there may be a conflict in landmarks since there’s a reference to Hooper and a reference to Hobo… CHP and ECC seem to have a disconnect. CHP CAD made it seem like there was an RP at or near the Caliente Post Office…

@KernDesert and @IMT_Geek any insight?

3 Likes

72 canceled balance. Hard time getting info. Other Kern channels active on broadcastify.

2 Likes

Sounds like it’s near hobo ridge. Kern reducing response to 72 since nothing is showing and rain is moving thru the area. Thought I heard SQF notified poterville for a/c but not launching.

4 Likes

Hard to tell but maybe a little smoke way in the background.

https://www.alertwildfire.org/region/sierra/?camera=Axis-BreckenridgePeak1

1 Like

I see what your talking about… So hard to tell. Age old debate… Smoke or water dog?

4 Likes

Are Hooper and Hobo both actual names out there? Hopefully if it’s actually near the Post Office 11 or 78 can jump on it!

4 Likes

I’m not super familiar with kern or SQF but I think hobo is in reference to a manned fire lookout

2 Likes

Hobo Ridge is a peak above Havilah.

3 Likes

Sorry, I was on another project. Hooper Hill and Hobo Ridge are both in 72’s area. I personally have been on a lighting strike on Hooper Hill and we were chased off it when our hair started standing up under our helmets (on the crew then).

Excuses, well it could be said that the Cal-Bodfish Road name goofed someone up with bad cell service and it became Caliente Post Office? The Cal-Bodfish Road starts there by the old post office in Caliente and goes up all the way up the Lion’s Trail, through Walker Basin and Havilah and it does go past Hobo Ridge and down Hooper Hill. That’s a stretch? I would defer to @JohnHavilah for more specific. He’s near Hobo Ridge area but may not be able to have the northern view.

6 Likes

Nope, the closest Lookout is either Breckenridge to the south or Oak Flat on the other side of Kern Canyon to the northwest. It’s been a while since the lookouts were “staffed.” Oak Flat can be rented as an overnight experience if they still do that.

3 Likes

Hooper Hill is listed on Kern County maps. it is the ‘hill’ that the Caliente Bodfish rd traverses south from Kern Valley to Havilah and beyond to hwy 58. Hobo is a campground on the 178, so could be refering to the ridge between the 178 and caliente bodfish rd.however Hooper hill is app 45 miles from Caliente proper.

3 Likes

Fire reported on hooper hill. SQF Engine 45 sent to investigate. Talked to my engineer (43). Valley getting good rain right now.

6 Likes

The dispatch narrative I see states “KCSO saw the strike and now smoke is showing Hooper Hill towards Havelah (sic) from a lightning strike.” So, who knows how the Caliente PO got on there, but that hill gets hit a lot.

4 Likes

power is out in Bodfish and parts of Lake Isabella.possible struck a transformer on the hill…?

2 Likes

A lot of wires come together at the top of that hill, right where 25SO2 (Piute Mountain Rd) heads up. If it was hit it would not be the first time. I think that area has been hit several times when I was there, not counting the strike that chased us off. The wires come off of the Borel Power Plant and head up the hill and are all over in that area. That would not surprise me one bit.

5 Likes

Borel has not been operational for several years, but, yeah, lots of lines.

3 Likes

Had an outage in Havilah an hour and a half ago (1350) for about 5 min. . Power on since. Substation to our immediate south keeping things going here for now.

3 Likes