CA-LMU-Hog??

Agreed. It’s got a lot of alignment, and the lack of shade and cover in those clearcuts make them super-receptive to spots. The Ponderosa Fire, in 2012, ran over 7 miles the first afternoon in a similar patchwork.

15 Minute time lapse of the Shaffer Cam is pretty impresive. Capped out right now

I am a bit confused. Some of these post have the fire near Hog Reservoir others have it near Childs Meadow. On Google Earth these two landmark of over 30 miles apart. Can someone clear this up?

Originally two fires in the area. The first one at Child’s Meadow was picked up and then this one east of Chester took off.

Hog Flat is off Hwy 44, just a few miles North of Hwy 36/44 intersection. The Dyer Mtn Camera is looking directly into that area.

1 Like

Thank you! We live nearby, as the crow flies, and were concerned. Sure hope this second one (Hog) doesn’t take off as feared. Everyone stay safe!

1 Like

It’ll be on State DPA if it crosses Hwy 44.

Looking at AA on FlightAware, it is pretty darn close to Hwy 44 now.

Things are going to change pace real quick as soon as it hits any slope.

1 Like

If it runs with the terrain it’ll go south south west. Other side of 44 has had a lot of logging done so should be able to slow it down.

I don’t think it will slow it down. I think it’ll burn faster. It’s hot as hell in those cutblocks, with a ton of light flashy fuels. Probability of ignition is 90% right now, fire spread today is all about spotting.

7 Likes

Heavy blowdown all around 44 from a couple of years ago. Not sure how much of it was cleaned up.

2 Likes

Those cut blocks are your favorite things on the landscape aren’t they Pyrogeo!

Yreaka just asked the the Badger AA if they wanted a VLAT and they took it…they can use one!!
!But no question … as A904G said the HOG is the one to watch!!! Hog needs some heavy aluminum.

3 Likes

VLAT en route from southops

1 Like

It capped out about 30 mins ago. Taken from Lake Almanor.

4 Likes

Its timber expected fire behavior for sure

Has anyone heard if it’s crossed 44 yet? Orbit of AA looks like it has to be close.

1 Like

260 acres Per IC

5 Likes

Fire Season is here with the timber taking off in July.

4 Likes

Just for thoughts, SNF had a HOG fire on 7/8/20, per InciWeb. Does this cause a problem down the road???

3 Likes