CA minimum engine staffing

Trying to find documentation supporting sending 4 on an engine when responding to an out of county vegetation fire vs. sending 3. FIRESCOPE states minimum of 4 on Type 1 and 3 on Type 3’s. CFAA states minimum of 3 and maximum of 4 reimbursed. I know the proffered is 4 on both type 1’s and 3’s and that’s standard but where is that written? Trying to get a policy through for 4-0 on all out of county responses. Thanks.

I think its agency specific not a hard fast policy.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. Was hoping to find something along the lines of “4-0 staffing highly preferred for all out of county assignments” or something we could quote.

4-0 STAFFING is approved for all engine requests by OES. This is relayed to each operational area each year by the Region Assistant Chiefs during the refresher courses prior to fire season. The message is until otherwise requested, 4-0 staffing is approved and will be reimbursed.

If you follow FIRESCOPE this is contradictory in naming a Type 1 or Type 2 engine strike team. I don’t think OES has an actual policy on the books to cover this.

2 Likes