CA-MNP-Mojave Lightning Complex???

Sawtooth Mtn Range in the Mojave National Park:

Just heard a request for 3 type 1 tankers. I see an order for a set of Jumpers and hear there’s currently a few copters and an Air Attack assigned.

CMD: MNP Main

Unknown how many fires, ROS, etc…

4 Likes

Hearing of several lightning fires in Mojave National Park. AA reporting 1 fire at 100 acres with potential for 1000 and cruising the park on recon. Any other info out there??

3 Likes

NIFC ArcGIS has lat/long on a peak just south of Halloran Springs, a few miles south of I15. About halfway between Baker and Cima, where the Dome Fire was last fall. Elevation is about 3,000 feet, slightly lower than endemic altitude for Joshua Trees, so hopefully it’s just creosote and yucca, and not Joshua Trees. FYI, Baker hit 119 degrees today, and tonight’s low is the low 90s…

5 Likes

Helicopter 554 and some BLM resources have been out that way this afternoon for a separate fire on Old Woman Mountain, which is South of I40. I suspect may be apart of this same lightning bust, as there is not much out there.

AA 52 is over the fire, much closer to the 15, West of the Cima Exit.
Tanker 131, and 105 are inbound. Helicopter 532 is committed to this incident at well.

4 Likes
1 Like

Per San Bernardino County Comms, 125 acres plus. Their report makes it sound like fire behavior is minimal.

2 Likes

The main fire (south and west of Cima) was very visible from I-15 about 2 hours ago. This will be west of last year’s Dome Incident. The other established fire is south of Essex by about 10 miles.

Lots of seasonal cheat grass and some Joshua Trees.

3 Likes

C-130 just passed over my station on Baker.

5 Likes

Air attack has the main fire about 150 acres at dusk. Asking for 2 tankers first thing in the morning. Sounds like a sketchy retardant line on the east side of the fire and some “rock escarpments” helping out otherwise fire is “looking good” and “hopefully it doesn’t move.” Air attack off to San Bernardino for the night.

3 Likes

Flaming front visible from Baker, ~15 mi SW of fire. As of 2000, 109 degrees, 8%RH and winds out of SW@8

6 Likes

There are multiple fires in the MNP and DVP. All fires came from the T-storm that started the Old Woman Fire first. Until wetting rains show up with these storms, probably wouldn’t be surprised to see another Dome fire out there. Lots of annual grasses that have been completely cured out since March.

3 Likes

FIRE UPDATE From CA-SBCC Fire Name: MOJAVE ,http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.36993,-115.8072 ,DPA: NPS ,Ownership: NPS ,Size: 500 ,Info: 20% CONTAINED, 209 BEING COMPLETED, AIRCRAFT ON ORDER. FIRE IS NOT BEING CALLED A COMPLEX, JUST ONE SINGLE FIRE.

6 Likes

850 acres per South Ops

5 Likes

Seven RDD smokejumpers on the Sawtooth fire.
I once spotted 10 or 12 jumpers in the New York Mts. It reached 122° out there. Brutal.

3 Likes

Took the helicopter to death valley for a fire, got released during the day but had to wait till the next morning to take off. It was too hot for the engine to fire up. 125 I believe, but in the 130s on the helispot. A fire in Death Valley, really??? Box checked I guess…

9 Likes

There’s talk about putting a type 2 team on this one. Should know by 1000.

My former team was here last year. Oddly enough they’re up again… Team 12, ICP was in Primm.

3 Likes

Team 12 has been canceled.

4 Likes