CA-MVU-Marron??

Otay also burned in ‘96? I think. Same night as the Harmony Grove fire.

1 Like

Yes sir it did, I was the one that spotted that beast coming out of Copper Canyon, we was on a fire at Otay Lakes, We where the last B ride in the unit prior to going to the fire at the lakes.

1 Like

Is the old Fuel break being maintain up there to protect the remaining Tecate Cypress? I remember it held pretty good for a little bit in the 03 fire. its Good all the Tanks and access have been repaired back there.

Just the international fuel break it was brushed in 2018/19. Like I said lots of the Tecate Cypress took some hard hits in 03 and 07. Fires just burned to hot for the pods to survive. Its slowly making a comeback.

I was there with you. Looked like the sun was rising but it was 3 in the morning lol

Have to message me who ya be, old timers !!!

Has there ever been any thought of burning out the 300 or so yards on our side of the border? I’m sure the Border Patrol would love the idea.

2 Likes

I know a few ex FS shots that work BP that would love to drop some fire along the southern border…from San Diego to El Paso…

1 Like

Just seems like every single year MVU has multiple fires cross the border and become our problem. A large regularly burned off fuel break would save us the constant problem. Not to mention making life a little more difficult for the international hikers

3 Likes

Well the south side of Otay is way to steep for RX burning so is Tecate Peak with no
real access , plus 80% of the border is BLM land with Cal Fire DPA

2 Likes

I remember Russ Crandel telling me to look out the side door when he was answering me about size. That was pretty impressive

1 Like

I remember our annual runs to Tin Canyon, LOL. Almost like clockwork. and I also tricked the crew into thinking the barbed wire Roosevelt fence was the real border coraling them while constructing line. :wink:

1 Like